A few easy questions on wiring outlet boxes

Old 12-14-09, 03:20 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A few easy questions on wiring outlet boxes

1) If I am only hooking up outlet boxes and I am running one to another do I put both ground wires into the single ground wire screw?

2) If I am hooking up outlet boxes on a new breaker and running all new wire can I follow another wires path thru the wood so I dont have to drill more holes?

3) Also in this picture I need to add 1 outlet box to an existing wire....I follow the wire and it looks like it is only powering 3 lights and 1 light switch.....can I add a plug outlet box where shown on the picture..........and/or (the stars are the location of boxes and light switch)in the bathroom area I still need a light switch and an plug outlet box also?? is that possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-09, 03:50 PM
J
Your diagram suggests you are switching neutral, a major no-no. I would suggest you pick up a book on basic house wiring. A very good one is 'Electrical Wiring-residential' by Ray Mullin. Get the revision for 2008 NEC, available online. And don't forget to get this work inspected.

Old 12-14-09, 04:02 PM
T
I dont know what switching nuetral means? what u see in the picture as far as the light being hooked up was already here when we moved in....I was just windering if I can add to it? I bought a book called wiring step-by-step...

I'd like to go and run some wire to get started can i go thru the same holes that another wire is already using?

Old 12-14-09, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by tibasnatch View Post
1) If I am only hooking up outlet boxes and I am running one to another do I put both ground wires into the single ground wire screw?
No, you may only put one wire on one screw. You either have to make a pigtail or use a green wirenut with a hole in the end to pass the ground wire through. like this: IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - Wing-Nut Greenie Twist-on Wire Connector

2) If I am hooking up outlet boxes on a new breaker and running all new wire can I follow another wires path thru the wood so I dont have to drill more holes?
Yes, that is fine. Just try to keep it to 3 cables or less for a 7/8" hole.

3) Also in this picture I need to add 1 outlet box to an existing wire....I follow the wire and it looks like it is only powering 3 lights and 1 light switch.....can I add a plug outlet box where shown on the picture..........and/or (the stars are the location of boxes and light switch)in the bathroom area I still need a light switch and an plug outlet box also?? is that possible.
That should work but the cable between the bathroom and large room will likely not have enough slack. You must have at least 3" of free wire outside a box. It would be easier to just run a new cable from the bathroom light or large room light, What ever is closer, rather then trying to splice into the existing run.

Old 12-14-09, 04:56 PM
T
sorry feel stupid for asking but if I am pigtailing 2 ground wires how do i get it to the ground screw? do I have to cut a piece of ground wire from a different wire? or do I bend a wire down and then twist the 2 together?>

Old 12-14-09, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
When you pig tail you take the two (or more) wires and then add about 6" piece of the same wire you are splicing. Twist on the wire nut and take the other end of the short wire and connect to the screw. If you need a better description just Google "pigtailing wires"

Old 12-14-09, 08:43 PM
T
ok thanks...I appreciate the help