What is this circuit for?

Old 12-15-09, 05:36 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is this circuit for?

Hi - I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the electrician who wired my house was thinking.

I am getting things ready to finish my basement (a 1960s built duplex with the upstairs re-wired in 2006) and in the area of my furnace and water heater I noticed a box with two capped wires, 14-3 cable. I checked, not live, so I hooked up a light fixture thinking it was an extra light on the circuit for the other light in that area.

Nope.

Turns out this circuit is the same as my bathroom fan on the main floor. When the fan is on, the light comes on. On top of that, in the hallway right across from the bathroom is a switch which turns on the bathroom fan as well as the light that I put up in the basement.

I'm guessing this is supposed to be for some kind of ventilation unit (?HRV?), but I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

glen

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-09, 06:29 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi glen. I agree with your assumption on some type of attempt at ventilation. The wire in the basement might have been intended to run another fan to pull in fresh air. For low cost fresh air, bath fans are used with built in timers.

Bud

Old 12-15-09, 07:01 PM
B
Might be for a "makeup air system".

ARES Make-Up Air

Old 12-15-09, 10:20 PM
F
I am pretty sure that is that circuit you working on that is for make up air unit due majorty of remodeled and new home they get really airtight so have to run the airmake up unit to replace the air it extracted { exhausted }.

That is found in IBC { International Building Code }

Merci,Marc