Lengthening shaft on motor

Old 12-15-09, 09:06 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lengthening shaft on motor

Is there any common practice to lengthening the shaft on a small dc blower motor. Some type of coupler with set screws maybe? It's 12v for the heater in a car. I have a new generic dc motor but the shaft is to short. I believe the shaft is 6mm.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-09, 10:00 PM
B
Here are pictures of shaft couplers...
motor shaft coupling - Google Images

But I wonder if it would be less expensive to get the correct motor? (Or do they want some outrageous price for a replacement?)

Old 12-15-09, 10:25 PM
F
Bill.,

That what I am thinking also.,,

However I will address to the OP I just wondering why not check the salvage yards I am pretty sure they will have a heater fan motor that will fit to your specfic car model.

I know it will be fraction of cost of new heater fan motor. and it willbe correct size as well.

Merci,Marc

Old 12-15-09, 10:26 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Trouble with a shaft coupler is that they are much bigger diameter than the shaft and so long that you will likely need a real cob-job to make that motor work in the application.

Old 12-16-09, 07:07 AM
S
The heater isn't from a particular vehicle. Its a standalone generic model made for putting in custom vehicles. It's from summitracing.com. I talked to them and they have no replacement parts. Just about any 12v 200-300 rpm motor would work, I even have a few laying around the garage, but can not find any with the correct spindle length. Itd have to be at least 3.5 inches to get to the middle of this squirrel cage fan. Anyone know where I can get a motor like this? I was going to just use a typical plumbers compression fitting to connect the two shafts, but one shaft is about a millimeter or so thinner then the other. I was going to weld it, but I thought that'd be stupid. I was going to slide a piece of fuel line over the two shafts and crimp it, but I think thats stupid too.

Anyone know a good source of small, 12v dc motors that may have a long enough spindle?