Did I hook up my plug outlets correctly?? Picture

Old 12-16-09, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did I hook up my plug outlets correctly?? Picture

just hooked up 5 outlets the same way...im 99% sure they are right but just want to confirm...thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-09, 05:30 PM
yes and no. You should really pig tail the wires, two whites connected together with one wire coming out, two blacks together and one black coming out, connecting to the plug. Thats called a pigtail. someone here should have a pic of a pig tail, i'm sure they will show you. what you are doing is using the receptacle as a splice. It will work but if the plug goes bad everything that comes after the plug won't work either.

Old 12-16-09, 05:32 PM
Is that a black and white connected to the same screw? What is up with that/???

Old 12-16-09, 05:32 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Connections

The photo is not completely clear. I hope I am seeing the two neutral wires on the silver screws on the near side and the two black wires on the far side on the brass screws.

Your wires need to be wrapped snugly around the screws so that the wire will be under the screw head after the screw is tightened. Be sure all wires are hooked in the clockwise direction so the screw will grip the wire when tightened.

The outer cable sheath could be stripped further into the box leaving at least 1/4 in. of sheath inside the box. Be careful and do not damage the insulation on the wires. Removing more of the cable sheath will make it easier to place the wire in the box when you fasten the receptacle to the box.

594, I think we are seeing the stripped neutral protruding a little bit far out on the back side of the screw.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 12-16-09 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Added last statement.
Old 12-16-09, 05:36 PM
I guess the picture does look a bit confusing...but yes I have the 2 white wires connected to the silver side and then the 2 black wires connected to the brass side then the gound wires pigtailed to the one ground screw.....this is how the book showed to do it....

Old 12-16-09, 05:40 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Wire

When you hook the wires around the screws, the hooks need to be bent in against the screw shaft so the hook will be snug under the screw head.

Old 12-16-09, 06:27 PM
yea...i fixed that after i took the pic...i noticed it wasnt all the way under the screw...other then that it looks ok?

Old 12-16-09, 07:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Looks fine. Pigtailing is a great way to do it, and I do it in order to keep things flowing as samson said, but it isn't "required". Just a good failsafe. If you had more than two cables, then you would have to use pig tailing to connect the receptacle.

Old 12-17-09, 09:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The receptacle looks good to me. The only trouble I see is the amount of sheathing. It should be stripped back so there's about 6-8" of conductors out of the sheathing, and only about 1/2" of sheathing in the box (1/4" minimum).

The pigtailing as mentioned is an optional step, but not required when you have only two cables. The other advantage of pigtailing is that you can make up all of your connections during rough-in before the sheetrock goes up. Then you have less of a job to do during finish work.