Closet Light Switch

Old 12-19-09, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Closet Light Switch

I am in the process of re-doing our master bedroom closet. We are removing the old shelving and replacing it with some nice cherry closet organizer items. The problem is If I put one the towers where I designed it, it blocks the plumbing/motor access for the Master Bath. My only option is to move the closet lighting switch into the master bedroom from the closet( basically turing it around 180 degrees), so I can move the tower over the 5" I need. So...My question is according to the NEC, can the closet lights witch be in the bedroom vs the closet?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-09, 10:14 AM
S
yes it can. i acually prefer it so the homeowner doesn't have to open the door to shut the light off.

Old 12-19-09, 10:43 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 107 Votes on 99 Posts
It may be a bit more work, but I particularly like the automatic door switches. It's basically a pushbutton switch that you mount in the door frame. When the door is open, the light is on. Close the door and the light goes off. Magic!

This way you won't have to worry about a switch at all.

Old 12-19-09, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Zorfdt View Post
It may be a bit more work, but I particularly like the automatic door switches. It's basically a pushbutton switch that you mount in the door frame. When the door is open, the light is on. Close the door and the light goes off. Magic!

This way you won't have to worry about a switch at all.
I would agree, but not in my household. Closet door never gets shut. Actually the door is sticking/won't close, and that is one of the items the remodel is going to address.

Thanks guys! Looks like I am gonna turn it around!Beer 4U2

Old 12-19-09, 01:09 PM
F
Majorty of the closet luminire wall switch I useally put outside of closet due couple reason one is you can find the switch real quick the second thing is you will not have to fumble it around to find the switch.

The other thing you should be aware in cloth closet you can not have bare indenscent bulb in there it must be enclosed per code requirement the flourscent luminaire can go bare or enclosed.

The best place to put the luminaire is above the door that way nothing can cover up the luminaire.

Merci,Marc

Old 12-19-09, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
Majorty of the closet luminire wall switch I useally put outside of closet due couple reason one is you can find the switch real quick the second thing is you will not have to fumble it around to find the switch.

The other thing you should be aware in cloth closet you can not have bare indenscent bulb in there it must be enclosed per code requirement the flourscent luminaire can go bare or enclosed.

The best place to put the luminaire is above the door that way nothing can cover up the luminaire.

Merci,Marc
You bring up a good point. We were considering replacing what is there and adding 2 more recessed lighting fixtures. Do they need to have a cover too or should I just use CPF bulbs?

Old 12-20-09, 01:14 AM
F
To add recessed can luminaire in cloth closet they should be enclosed lens aka shower trim that useally pass the code without issue or get clear glass trim both will meet the code.

If this can is factory hardwired flourscent verison it can go either way.

Screw in CFL bulbs that is a boarderline due some of the homeowner will switch back to regular indentscent bulb so that why I try to stay away from screw in CFL bulbs in cloth closet for other type of closet it is ok like pantery but never if any clothes in the closet.

That one reason why I never install keyless socket in cloth closet at all and I been doing like this for over 20 years so it become automatic for me.

Some cloth closet flourscent luminaire I will add a motion sensor right below so if you open up the door and you walk in the luminiare will lit up and it will turn off in few minuites that one way I do that from time to time.

Merci,Marc

Old 12-20-09, 07:24 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Switch

I have a closet light switch in a hallway. I used an indicator switch which has a red indicator light which tells me when the switch is on. This type switch needs a neutral connection. Requires 3-wire if using a switch loop.