Burried service cost

Old 12-20-09, 01:14 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burried service cost

What should it cost to have a burried service hooked up if I bury the cable and supply all the material?

Old 12-20-09, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I have to say (non-Pro) after seeing questions like this all the time......theres no way to say.

Many companies may want to use their own material for liability reasons....some places it may be required that the power company do it...

You need to supply sooo much more info...

Whats the distance...whats there now....will an electrician be doing it or the PoCo...what kind of panel will it be....will you be connecting to the meter base..or is the meter away from the panel....see what I mean?

Old 12-20-09, 01:35 PM
H
It is 150 feet the meter will be just outside the panel. It is a new Square d 200 amp panel. all cable in ground to pole waiting for meter base which was recommended by the power co. An electrician will be doing it. It will be a new service on new construction.

Old 12-20-09, 01:46 PM
F
Normally The POCO will give you the X price to bury the cable from the pole to the meter base and that price will included the cable. { up to X amount of footage once it get over then there willbe addtional charge for longer runs }

And it may have extra charge add to it due in wintertime with frozen ground otherwise they can run tempory cable until spring thaw come and bury it.

Senice this is a new construction the Electrician will have to do this per Code requirement and the inspector will have to inspect the service before it can turn on the power on to the meterbase. { most POCO will not turn on the power until the inpector check it first }

Merci,Marc

Old 12-20-09, 01:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Check with your electric company. Around here the power company supplies the meter base and all the wire to the meter. You install the base and conduit, they supply and run the wire. I've paid for a couple of underground services but don't remember how much - it was significantly higher than an overhead service.

Old 12-20-09, 02:45 PM
B
Also is the electric pole on your side of the street or across the street?

If across the street, all sorts of additional stuff! Permit to cut street, flaggers to direct traffic, etc.

Old 12-21-09, 09:21 AM
M
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Check with your electric company. Around here the power company supplies the meter base and all the wire to the meter. You install the base and conduit, they supply and run the wire. I've paid for a couple of underground services but don't remember how much - it was significantly higher than an overhead service.
Same here. My meter is about 125 feet from the pole. I dug the trench and laid the conduit, the POCO supplied and pulled the wires. But there was no charge.

Old 12-21-09, 09:45 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The way I read the OP's post he has already bought and buried the cable all the way to the PoCo pole so all the PoCo has to do is connect to his installed lateral. That should cost the PoCo less in materials and even time then a drop which they would probably do for free.

Old 12-21-09, 10:08 AM
R
Here in Iowa you mount the meter( you may or may not have to buy) and run the service wires to your panel. If you pass inspection have to call POCO and then they will come out to hook up your service. For them you just need you pipe from your meter to the ground next to the meter and they will install that when they run the wires. As for the cost they will pay for the first 35' and you have to pay for the rest.

Thanks!
Jim

Beer 4U2

Old 12-21-09, 01:07 PM
T
Received 50 Votes on 49 Posts
for residential:

In FL, It's close to $500 that goes to the utility. They supply the conduit, you bury it, they come back and have a contractor pull their wire thru. FPL even supplied the pvc glue!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: