Silver Wiring - what is it?

Old 12-20-09, 02:49 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Silver Wiring - what is it?

I have been replacing a few light fixtures (flush mount fixtures and pendant style) and noticed that most of them have silver wires in the fixture. I cannot find any labeling that says what the wire is made of. The fixtures are brand new. The wiring is made of stranded small silver wires. Is it alumumin? Do I need special connectors to connect it to my copper house wiring?

My concern is that everything I read says that aluminum wiring is unsafe to connect to copper.

This brings a similar question about wire nuts. I noticed some of them are silver on the inside, while others are copper. Are the silver ones for a special purpose? I have seen the same colored nuts (yellow), some with silver and others with copper inside.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-09, 03:45 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
They are copper wires that have been tinned. Tinning is the process of coating wire with solder.

Old 12-20-09, 04:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
You will need to make sure that you are not installing fixtures that require 90 degree rated insulation if you wiring method has a lesser rated insulation.

In the US the rating is designated NM-B for the 90 degree rating. It was first made around 1984. Older Nm only had 60 degree rated insulation. I don't know if Canada had a similar change.

Old 12-21-09, 05:24 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Wires

Do the silver wires have insulation?

Old 12-22-09, 06:22 PM
C
FWIW, Canada changed from NMD-7 wiring to NMD-90 wiring, which is similar to US NM-B, but has no paper in it. I know we had it at least since 1990.

Old 01-10-10, 08:51 AM
D
Thanks everyone for your replies. I was busy over the holidays, and just read through the posts now.

The fixtures are brand new and from a major hardware store, so I'm not concerned. After reading a few sources, it appears it is (as you mentioned) tinned copper wire.

Thanks again.