Best under cabinet lighting for kitchen?

Old 12-20-09, 07:57 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best under cabinet lighting for kitchen?

I just remodeled my kitchen and wired in a seperate switch for under cabinet lighting (multiple lights). Now I'm looking to buy the lights. Can anybody recommend a good under cabinet light?

I'd rather not use flourescent as I don't like the light they give off.

I'd prefer the ability to dim the lights.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-09, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 220 Votes on 194 Posts
The best light I have used are a strip Xenon lights which can be found at most big box stores. I see you are also from Minnesota so I can recommend the ones they sell at Menard's are my 1st choice. I have install them in my house and for quite a few customers. They install easily. They are linkable so you only have to feed a section once. They look good and are fully dimable. They also give off a very nice light The only down side is they are a bit pricey between $20 - $40 per fixture. Here is an example: Xenon Under Cabinet

Here are my lights:

Ones to stay away from are anything that has "puck" in the description and LED lights unless you can see the light they give off.

Old 03-04-10, 01:26 PM
B
Question

Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
The best light I have used are a strip Xenon lights which can be found at most big box stores. I see you are also from Minnesota so I can recommend the ones they sell at Menard's are my 1st choice. I have install them in my house and for quite a few customers. They install easily. They are linkable so you only have to feed a section once. They look good and are fully dimable. They also give off a very nice light The only down side is they are a bit pricey between $20 - $40 per fixture. Here is an example: Xenon Under Cabinet
I got these as well too, but once opening up the box, I'm confused as to how to hardwire them with 12/2 wire. Can you point me in the right direction? There were no directions with the lights, and only hook up via an electrical cord - I'm kind of stumped right now...

Thanks!

Old 03-04-10, 01:28 PM
N
Mine were the same. I just cut the white and black wires (inside the light housing) and hard wired them in.

They work great.

Old 03-04-10, 02:36 PM
B
Grounding?

Originally Posted by nedrierson78 View Post
Mine were the same. I just cut the white and black wires (inside the light housing) and hard wired them in.

They work great.
What did you ground to then?

Old 03-04-10, 03:43 PM
B
Originally Posted by nedrierson78 View Post

They work great.
Also wondering if this is a best practice/safe, or if I should be looking at something else. Besides that, I also wouldn't mind some advice on where to ground my grounding wire (kinda thinking that inside the box, drill a hole for a screw and just apply like any other).

But I want to be sure. And get the knowledge from the experts.

Old 03-04-10, 04:25 PM
E
Originally Posted by bs278 View Post
What did you ground to then?
Ive never bought under cabinet lites that had cords on them. All the ones i used were xenon and were hard wired, theres usually a ground screw inside the lite that you ground to.

Old 03-04-10, 04:31 PM
J
Halogen--bright, lower power consumption than standard incandescents, HOT.
Fluorescent-- low power consumption, good quality light if you get warm white lamps. Cheap fixtures tend to HUM.
LED--last forever, very expensive, but getting better. My not be bright enough.

Old 03-04-10, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 220 Votes on 194 Posts
You forgot Xenon - Bright light, Not as hot as Halogen. Dimable. 20watts per lamp.

The lights have KO's along the back. Knock one out, install the connector and connect your cable. You will have to cut one end of the interconnect wires from the plug on either end and connect your line wires there. The ground should be connected to the metal frame of the fixture.

Old 03-10-10, 04:20 PM
B
Thumbs up Thanks

Just wanted to reply with a "Thank You." I got the lights installed with absolutely no problem. Wasn't 100% sure about the hard-wiring, but finding this forum has been great. Thanks for the replies and help.

Beer 4U2