Some Work... Some Don't.... Outlets

Old 12-21-09, 08:57 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Some Work... Some Don't.... Outlets

Help! I was helping my brother install two outlets and switch in his garage. We finished and everything worked fine. He called and said he plugged in the Christmas lights on the porch outlet and they worked. Then one day, they didn't and all the outlets on that circuit (including two bathrooms and garage) aren't working either. He has one GFCI right out of the panel which he is replacing...he checked for other GFCI along the circuit and found none. There is a switch from a junction box connecting the circuit that still works (but not the outlet from same junction box). I'm having him check any back stabbed outlets and change to screws. We put in a new chandelier with a dimmer switch plus changed out two recessed lights. However, these are all on a different circuit and are working fine. He has checked the breakers and none are tripped or loose. Any good advice of something we aren't thinking of except calling in an actual electrician???? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-09, 09:15 PM
F
Did you put any nail or screws on the walls where the affected circuits ?

I know the way you described that you have attached garage right ??

If so ., check all the receptales I know you checked them but double check with neon test light to verify if you have power there and the junction box that one part if you took apart without make a note how it hook back up you can really screw up your day so did the wire nuts are tight ?

I will start at the load centre { breaker box or fuse box } and work it way out once you know if you have GFCI breaker is good { test that with neon test light } then go to first recepectale it can be either bathroom or garage receptale depending on where the load centre is located so whatever is the nearest that where you start work it way out.

With GFCI breaker it not very often they go bad unless it a old style then you may end up get new one they typically run about 30 or so depending on what brand name breaker itself.

If need more question one of us will holler and help ya

Merci.
Marc

P.S. I noticed that you are in Wisconsin so what part ya in ? { I am in northeast area but I am in Paris France now }

Old 12-22-09, 05:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
Based on this taking out receptacles in the bathroom and the garage, i think there is another GFI receptacle involved. Check EVERYWHERE including behind storage boxes, in the basement, the powder room etc.

Old 12-22-09, 09:18 AM
F
Smile

Well, my brother put in a new GFCI and the circuit works now. Now we are keeping our fingers crossed that nothing else goes out!!