Conduit / Romex in garage

Old 12-24-09, 04:41 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Conduit / Romex in garage

I need to run some 20amp outlets on the other side of the garage and want to know if the code allows running romex on top of the drywall or if conduit is required. Location is Oregon, residential building.

Thanks much.

Leo

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-09, 04:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Leo, welcome to the forums! All wiring must be "protected", so it would be my choice to run individual conductors through conduit rather than romex. Romex is a real PITA to run in conduit.

Old 12-24-09, 04:53 PM
G
Old 12-24-09, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
You may not run Romex along the surface of the wall. You may use conduit or armored cable (AC or MC).

Old 12-24-09, 11:18 PM
F
You have to run this in Conduit no romex cable are allowed to be exposed on finshed garage walls.

Merci.
Marc

Old 12-25-09, 05:38 AM
L
Thanks for the reply, I'll now start itemizing the process. If I run 4 #12 circuits, can I run one Ground which will service all 4 circuits? If so, what size wire is required? This is a great forum!

Leo

Old 12-25-09, 06:25 AM
Group Moderator
If you use EMT you will not need a ground as the steel conduit is your ground. If you use PVC or FMC you will have to pull in a ground wire. You only need one #12 ground for your circuits.

Old 12-25-09, 06:47 AM
L
Thanks for all the help! Just to confirm, when I run EMT and metal boxes I do not need to run a separate ground wire that screws into the metal boxes and ties to the the ground lug on the recepticles? Also, I read something about "derated ampacity", if I ran these four circuits with #12 wire can I use 20amp breakers or do I need to go to 15amp? If I have to derate ampacity, then if I only run three #12 circuits in the conduit, can I now use 20amp breakers? I was going to run a spare circuit but will forego to avoid derating.

Again, thank you so much. What a great forum!!!

Old 12-25-09, 07:19 AM
Group Moderator
Using EMT you are not required to run a ground. You will still have to effectively ground any devices (receptacles, switches) or light fixtures to the wiring system. This can be done by using metal boxes with self grounding receptacles, switches with metal screws and a metal strap (yolk) or running a grounding lead/pigtail to the ground wire or screw. This wiring system ground must be continuous.

If you you have 9 or less current carrying conductors in a pipe and THHN wires you will not need to worry about derateing. The reason is #12 THHN is rated at 30 amps and with 9 wires you must derate at 70% which gives you 21 amps which is still over the max allowed by 240.4(D) which is 20 amps.

Bottom line: Stay 9 wires or less in a pipe and you can use 20 amp breakers.

Old 12-25-09, 06:50 PM
L
Thanks for all the great insights! We'll get this one done and safely because of all the help.

Thanks,

Leo

Old 12-30-09, 07:59 PM
S
what about on walls of an unfinished garage (bare cinderblock)? There are some older circuits that are run in the garage that are just romex and some other black jacketed stuff. They go to metal boxes. If I add another circuit (like for a fridge) so i assume it must be its own 20A leg.....if i run it in the metal jacketed stuff will I get in trouble for not upgrading previous circuits? How could they tell the age of the old circuits, dust on old romex? lol...

Old 12-31-09, 03:34 AM
The wiring should have been in conduit upon the first installation. You may not get in "trouble", but anything new you must have in conduit. As a matter of safety, I would add conduit to the existing just to protect the conductors as required by code. Makes for a safer life.

Old 12-31-09, 05:43 AM
S
it runs up into the ceiling, I guess put in conduit up to where it goes int to the ceiling? After that I am ok?

DO i need a seperate circuit to run a fridge in the garage or should I tap off one of the light legs and use that?

thx

Old 12-31-09, 06:07 AM
You are correct, run it up above the normal ceiling line, unless your local code calls for a different configuration. I would run a separate circuit for the refrigerator. Are you working off a separate subpanel in the garage or from the main breaker panel?

Old 01-03-10, 09:27 AM
S
Off of a subpanel in the garage. I do not have the room in the box for another breaker for another circuit though...

Old 01-03-10, 07:26 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 95 Posts
I know everyone is recommending individual wires in conduit, which is probably the preferred method, is not the only method for wiring a garage.

Typically, NM-B (Romex) can be run up at ceiling level, in the corner of the wall and ceiling without any protection. When it runs down the wall to the boxes, it then would get sleeved in a length of EMT. Pulling NM-B through a 3' straight length of EMT is quite easy.

So you have two basic options, both which are code-compliant.

Note: if you do use EMT to sleeve the NM-B, you still need to use NM-B cable clamps at the boxes. Also, remember that all your garage circuits need to be GFI protected.

Old 02-02-10, 04:11 PM
M
let me see i understand this right , i live in georgia my house is about 6 years old when new the basement was already framed up with lights in all the rooms and 1 outlet all is just romex in the framing or what ever in others no sheetrock no were in plastic blue boxes , thats what was done when the house was new , now if i'm gonna finish it do i have to have metal boxes and run it all in conduit and all this stuff ?

Old 02-02-10, 04:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
If you are going to finish your basement you would just use the regular nail-on boxes and drill thru the studs the same as normal construction techniques.

Old 02-02-10, 04:25 PM
M
cool so were does all the metal boxes and stuff come into play ?

Old 02-02-10, 04:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
I think you are picking out the parts where metallic conduit was run to provide physical protection for the cable.

Old 02-02-10, 04:31 PM
M
ok just as long as i can use regular romex and nail on boxes , thanks

Old 02-02-10, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
As long as the Romex is 1 1/4" away from the face of the stud (where the sheet rock gets attached to) it needs no protection. If the cable is closer to can then use nail plates.

Old 02-02-10, 08:46 PM
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Leo, welcome to the forums! All wiring must be "protected", so it would be my choice to run individual conductors through conduit rather than romex. Romex is a real PITA to run in conduit.
In addition, running romex in conduit is a code violation. Conduit can be used, however, as a sleeve for protection where the romex drops down the wall to a box. If the wiring method is all conduit, don't try to pull romex into it.

Old 02-03-10, 09:46 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
In addition, running romex in conduit is a code violation. Conduit can be used, however, as a sleeve for protection where the romex drops down the wall to a box. If the wiring method is all conduit, don't try to pull romex into it.
Just to clarify, it is not a code violation to run NM-B (Romex) in conduit, but it's highly discouraged other than a few feet for protection. While code doesn't mind if you run 100' of NM-B in conduit, you'll have a heck of a time pulling it though, especially if there's a bend or two.