GFCI outlet vs breaker vs AFCI vs GFCI/AFCI

Old 12-26-09, 08:39 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI outlet vs breaker vs AFCI vs GFCI/AFCI

I'm running a few new circuits in the garage and everyone has been great with the project design (see thread - conduit vs romex). I need to put together my shopping list and the question is what kind of circuit protection is required for 20amp recepticals in the garage. Can I just install a GFCI outlet with a 20amp breaker or does the code require a Fault Breaker and if so what kind/options do I have.

Thanks,

Leo

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-09, 08:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Leo, the gfci breaker will protect all the wiring from the panel to all the receptacles, while the gfci receptacles will offer protection starting at that receptacle and downline. IMO, the breakers seem to have a longer life then the receptacles, although the are more costly. Not sure how your local inspector sees it, but a gfci receptacle at the beginning of the loop would be fine. If you have more than one circuit, you will need more than one gfci receptacle to protect all the downline ones.

Old 12-26-09, 12:59 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leo.,

The garage you only need GFCI but you can go with GFCI breaker or GFCI receptale eitherway it will meet the codes without any issue however if you are only adding couple recpetales you will be fine but if rewired the whole thing then everything have to be on GFCI no expections at all.

That part It come from Comm 16 { State of Wisconsin electrical code }

Typically GFCI recepetales are useally about 12~15 each while the GFCI breaker will go anywhere from 30 to 100 depending on which breaker and the number of poles

If you need more details realted to Comm 16 requirement let me know I will reply with more details.

Otherwise you are good to go and by the way is this garage is attached or detached ?
That question will affect how it can set up the extra circuits.

Merci.Marc