cost of running water heater?

Old 12-28-09, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cost of running water heater?

I realize i'm probably not on the right site here but i need some information. I want to know the cost of operation difference between running a 40 gall natural gas power vent water heater and an electric 40 water heater? I need to know whether to chance to electric or natural gas.My plumber said it was cheaper to have electric and my electrician said it would cost 3 times more to operate a electric water heater on an average. I really need some information on this. thanks

Old 12-28-09, 12:42 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
It depends a lot on the price structure of your local utility companies. In my area (mid-Michigan) it is quite a bit cheaper to run a natural gas water heater than electric. Gas water heaters also recover to full temperature faster after hot water usage.

One thing you can do is to look at the yellow energy star labels on the appliance. Those labels tell you average amount of electricity or gas that model uses in a year. Multiply that by the rate on your utility bill to get the approximate cost of running that model in your area.

Old 12-28-09, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 352 Votes on 304 Posts
Other things to consider is the cost of the unit and installation. Also you have to figure recovery time. Electric water heaters can not recover as fast a gas. Another thing to check is if your electric company has an off peak program.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: