partial loss of electricity in house

Old 01-03-10, 06:46 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you do call an electrician, be sure to show him every outlet you replaced and where all the problems are. And explain what happened in detail, don't leave anything out.

Then he can double check your work, find the initial problem, and that switch problem might be a second new problem.

Best that everything get checked.

I like it when people are upfront with me. It makes my job a WHOLE lot easier! I don't care who did what, I just want to find the problems and fix them.

I'm a friendly sort and would not mind you watching what I did. I would even explain a few things for you if you asked. So if the electrician is the friendly sort, perhaps you could tag along and see how he finds the problem.

If he just grunts and does not say much, might want to leave him be! But this is how I learned when I was a kid. I would watch the electricians work. (The friendly ones...)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-10, 09:14 PM
F
Bill came up with good words in here and of course I am Electrician by trade and I will be more than happy if you fill the electrician all the detials what you did it will make it eaiser to troubleshooting.

My customers done the same thing as long they are right on the point and what they done I do not have any issue with that and from time to time I take a little time to explain what is going on if they are instering with it.

I am glad you make a wise call here to get a electrician I know you did the best as we provide the information here and hope the electrician should able find it.

Merci,Marc

Old 01-04-10, 10:38 AM
M
I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT!!!!

I fixed it! I wonder if you all heard me screaming with JOY? Because I really was screaming!!

THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!! I never could have done it without all of you. I'm so grateful for this website and the people on it.

I can finally rest now. Just a flaw in my personality, or a strength, depending on how you view it. I just couldn't leave it alone! All better now.

I'll finally leave all of you alone for now...... until next time.

THANK YOU!!

Old 01-04-10, 07:32 PM
F
That is good to know and thanks for letting us know you got it now.

Merci,Marc

Old 01-04-10, 07:36 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Bur inquiring minds want to know, "what was it?"

Old 01-04-10, 09:44 PM
M
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Bur inquiring minds want to know, "what was it?"
Something so simple..... of course!!! Remember I said that when I checked one of the light switches, a big bundle of wires sparked and lit up the wire nut? Well, that was it all along. The wires were loose, but not quite loose enough to be obvious when I first started on this journey. So as I was messing around with it again, and checking things over, 2 of the 4 wires that were twisted together, popped out of the wire nut. And then it all became clear to me! That was it. I twisted those wires together as tight as I could, screwed the wire nut back on and VOILA, full power again. WOO HOO! And now I have 9 new, secure receptacles that I replaced to try to find the problem. LOL At least I know those are tight and secure!!

Once again, THANK YOU. I am grateful!!!

But, let me ask one more thing..... (here we go again)

In a completely opposite area of the house, controlled by a different breaker, a receptacle has no power. Everything else in this bathroom is working. It is a GFCI linked outlet, but none of those are tripped. I suspect the outlet just went bad, but when I test it with the NCVM, it says it has power. Do you think the receptacle just went bad? Can I replace it with just a regular outlet, or does it need to be special since it is linked to a GFCI? (it is not the actual GFCI outlet) I haven't even messed with it since it is a sole outlet. At this point I'm so burned out on being an apprentice electrician, I figure I can live without it for a while. I'm afraid to open up a can of worms. Suggestions? Thanks!

Old 01-05-10, 08:04 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'm the odd man out here on my opinion of NCVT but while they are nice for your kids science project you need to go back and check with a real voltage meter, or test light, or solenoid tester to confirm any reading you get from them so why not just use a contact tester to begin with. A non contact tester really just tests the presence of an electromagnetic field not voltage. They can easily give a false reading. Some use them for a quick check a line is dead but just my opinion i wouldn't even trust them for that.

Old 01-05-10, 09:09 AM
B
Originally Posted by mnhwinn View Post
...I can finally rest now. Just a flaw in my personality, or a strength, depending on how you view it. I just couldn't leave it alone! All better now.
I am the same way myself. I will rest and think about something, then go back and try again. A good trait if you ask me!

As to the outlet which is not working, use that voltmeter you got for testing. Set it to AC voltage 200. And the problem could be just as above. A loose connection somewhere. Start by replacing the outlet.