Home electrical replaced - comments please

Old 01-04-10, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Home electrical replaced - comments please

Hello forum! I am a frequent visitor and like to read and get input from different threads, people asking questions and getting answers and such, but only recently just joined. I'm a fairly new first-time homeowner and possess a lot of knowledge on different things, electrical (high voltage and low voltage) being a strong interest of mine. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable and realistic and don't tackle projects unless I'm extremely confident I can complete them safely. Anyways, that being said, I'd like to describe the electrical work I've done in my home, hoping for some input.

I bought my North Fort Worth house back in Aug of 2008 and when I did, it had the original 1963 50 amp service, with much of the wiring extremely convoluted. There were random switches in rooms that went to nothing... Few outlets that didn't work... A number of different splice points in the attic NOT in junction boxes... Some new romex, some old cloth-covered.. Basically a complete clusterxxxx...

I began by first wiring in a brand new ceiling fan and light in the master bedroom, as it did not have an existing one. Shyed away from using any of the existing wiring, so I installed a new old work double gang box, all new romex, etc, and tied into the old switch for AC service, which I just converted to a junction box with a blank plate. After tackling more and more of these renovation projects, I've managed to replace every piece of existing romex in the house, all the outlet and switch boxes, all fans, lights, switches and sectioned off all circuits. In July of 2009, I tackled changing out the service panel. Drove a 10' ground rod just outside the house below the meter, installed 6ga solid copper, pulled the meter, ripped out the box, installed a new 100 amp 20 circuit panel. In the transition period, I had doubled up on several breakers, but now having the new panel in, there was a home for each of the new circuits. Mounted the panel, ran new 2ga H-H-N wire thru the wall conduit to the meter (maybe 18 inches total) and lit up the service. Completed without a hitch. The circuits are as follows:

Note, all circuits feeding from panel, unless otherwise specified are run with 12/2 + ground romex. (12/3 it may be called). All switch legs for lighting are 14/2 (or 14/3) romex.

1. 20 amp (bedroom 1 - 3 outlets)
2. 20 amp (bedroom 2 - 3 outlets)
3. 20 amp (furnace on a heavy duty switch + 1 outlet in hvac closet for utility light if needed. Also, doorbell transformer is just above cutoff switch on circuit)
4. / 6. (30 amp 220v (AC unit, 2-ton goodman unit off 10/3)
5. 20 amp (refrigerator)
6. 15 amp (lighting - living room, hallways, bathroom, dining room)
7. 15 amp (lighting - bedoom 1 & 2 + closet, kitchen, front and rear porch, laundry room)
8. 20 amp (bath gfci - 1 outlet)
9. 20 amp (kitchen counter gfci - 1 outlet)
10. 20 amp (kitchen counter gfci - 1 outlet)
11. 20 amp (dining room - 2 outlets)
12. 20 amp (living room - 3 outlets includes one hallway outlet)
13. 20 amp (living room - 1 outlet directly below service panel)
14. 20 amp (kitchen - microwave and gas stove)
15. / 17. 30 amp 220v (dryer - off 10/3 + ground)
16. 20 amp (garage - 1 outlet)
18. 20 amp (washer - gfci)
19. 20 amp (telecom - 1 server, network switch, router, cable modem, on-q panel)
20. unused

Well, after installing all these things, I got to thinking that I may still want do some more wiring as I have no exterior electrical, have a fairly large yard and may want to put in some illumination, was considering a hot tub for the patio, etc. I decided to install an additional panel in the garage (first one is located in the living room, just opposite the wall from the meter - stupid location, but it's how the houses were wired in 1963 here, apparently). Anyways, I added a subpanel, 25 feet of 6/3+ground romex and a 60 amp breaker. (I looked at main lug panels, but we had purchased a 100 amp main breaker panel for installation in my grandmothers home, but she died before we could install it, so used that instead - figured a main cutoff wouldn't be a problem. I don't plan on ever using 100 amps on that panel considering my main is only 100 amp.) Installed the panel in the garage wall, being sure to segregate neutral and ground and relocated all garage circuits (lighting + 3 outlets - yes, I installed 2 more) to the panel. I also relocated the washer and dryer to that panel, as well, thus freeing up a total of 4 spaces in the main panel (2 when you consider the 60 amp 220 breaker.)

Anyways, that's how I have it wired at the current moment. Thoughts? Suggestions? Have I been too obsessive / compulsive about wiring circuits? If you wonder why I put in a 100 amp panel instead of just going with a 200 amp, it would mean having to chisel out brick to install larger conduit, a new meter base, much larger service wire in, more additional permits, etc and 200 amp seemed overkill for my 988 sq. ft. home (1300 with garage.)

I will value any input!

Thank you.

BTW, now the panel is wired as such:

1. 20 amp (bedroom 1 - 3 outlets)
2. 20 amp (bedroom 2 - 3 outlets)
3. 20 amp (furnace on a heavy duty switch + 1 outlet in hvac closet for utility light if needed. Also, doorbell transformer is just above cutoff switch on circuit)
4. / 6. (30 amp 220v (AC unit, 2-ton goodman unit off 10/3)
5. 20 amp (refrigerator)
6. 15 amp (lighting - living room, hallways, bathroom, dining room)
7. 15 amp (lighting - bedoom 1 & 2 + closet, kitchen, front and rear porch, laundry room)
8. 20 amp (bath gfci - 1 outlet)
9. 20 amp (kitchen counter gfci - 1 outlet)
10. 20 amp (kitchen counter gfci - 1 outlet)
11. 20 amp (dining room - 2 outlets)
12. 20 amp (living room - 3 outlets includes one hallway outlet)
13. 20 amp (living room - 1 outlet directly below service panel)
14. 20 amp (kitchen - microwave and gas stove)
15. / 17. 60 amp (subpanel in garage - wired with 6/3 + ground)
16. unused
18. unused
19. unused
20. unused

Subpanel

1. 15 amp (garage lighting - 2 qty. 4' fluorescent fixtures + 2 qty 4' fluorescent fixtures in attic, all on independent switches)
2. 20 amp (garage outlet)
3. 20 amp (garage outlet)
4. 20 amp (garage outlet)
5. 20 amp (washer - gfci)
6. / 8. 30 amp 220v (dryer)
9. unused (will be exterior illumination)
10. unused (will be 1 exterior gfci outlet)
11. unused (will be 1 exterior gfci outlet)
12. unused

Last edited by kish2554; 01-04-10 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Revision to wiring - subpanel description
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-10, 01:27 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by kish2554 View Post
Anyways, that's how I have it wired at the current moment. Thoughts? Suggestions? Have I been too obsessive / compulsive about wiring circuits?
Seems fine to me. The code is a minimum, and you have exceeded it in ways that fit your needs. You generally do not get much return on investment beyond the basic safety stuff like fuse panel replacement and GFCIs, but if it's for your own personal use and not for resale value, certainly make it how you want it.

If you wonder why I put in a 100 amp panel instead of just going with a 200 amp
A 200A panel is overkill for the majority of homes they are installed in. I'm sure that 100A more than meets the need in this case.

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things -- happy wire pulling.

Old 01-04-10, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for your input, ibpooks. I didn't figure that much was out of compliance, but wanted to get some outside opinions. The location of the main panel (exterior wall of the living room) isn't exactly where I'd like it, but it'd be a pretty hefty job to change. Initially I had wanted to relocate the panel, but considering it's the home I live in, it could require me to take down all service for a few days, so I just retrofitted. Thanks again for responding!