Old outlet box

Old 01-04-10, 01:57 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Old outlet box

please help me on how to install this particular circuit to an outlet

can any one tell me how to install a grounding wire? I know I need to measure the distance and this and that but if I don't know how to hook it up then I will get an electrician..

I was told GFCI outlets take 2 lines but I could have been lied to I am sure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4246030996/

I don't see the image popping up so I posted the link instead.

also can some one tell me step by step how to install a clip wire or how I know if I can install one to this particular outlet?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-10, 02:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Depending on how your house was wired it may have grounding built in the bx cable covering attached to the boxes. With that said, you don't run a grounding wire. If you want to use three pronged appliances in this set up install a GFCI receptacle on the first receptacle in line, hot pair to the top (line) and the downline pair to the bottom (load). Then you can replace the downline receptacles with three pronged ones, BUT, you will need to mark them with the blue stickers that come with the GFCI that say "GFCI protected" and "No Equipment Ground".
Now if that didn't totally confuse you, ask some questions. We're here.

Old 01-04-10, 04:11 PM
R
I tried

To simplify the post simply go to this link where I have questions tagged on the notes (hover your mouse over the picture to view the questions I posted) answer them on this site please!)

I will mark it with notes and label it a b c d e f and so on..

Please use the letters as a guide for me telling me exactly what to place where..thanks!

I'll post it tomorrow I'm tired..

Last edited by redbolt; 01-04-10 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 04:40 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
There are no top or bottom screws on a GFCi. There are line and load. The incoming power goes to the LINE side. The wires going to the next fixture go to the load side. White wires not yellow go to the silver screws. Are you sure the wire you are calling yellow isn't a white wire that has yellowed from age?

Old 01-04-10, 05:07 PM
R
I will upload a picture of it..

Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
There are no top or bottom screws on a GFCi. There are line and load. The incoming power goes to the LINE side. The wires going to the next fixture go to the load side. White wires not yellow go to the silver screws. Are you sure the wire you are calling yellow isn't a white wire that has yellowed from age?
Okay I will upload a picture of the outlet please follow it and tell me what is an incoming power line? black or white? how do I figure that out?

What wires going to the next fixture go to the load side?. I know white goes to silver.

You look at the thing and tell me that isn't a yellow rubber line. It's definitely not yellow from age.

Okay maybe it is yellow from age I don't know this house is very old..one of the bricks says 1773 so who knows..of some one carbon dated the house it could be really old..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4245815807/

Last edited by redbolt; 01-04-10 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 07:49 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The load has a black and white wire and the line, power in, has a black and white wire. You measure with a multimeter test light or solenoid tester but not a non-contact tester. The black and white pair that show 120v goes to the line side.
what is an incoming power line? black or white?
You must have the correct black with the correct white. Just by looking at the wires in the box you should be able to tell which go together.

Old 01-05-10, 04:41 AM
R
What's the difference?

I'm getting a neon tester.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4622363...n/photostream/

Tell me where you would put the lines. In the load holes or the line? Or is it easiest to just put the line on the screws themselves and not in the load or line holes?

Also it's mentioned in the picture what are the differences between the top lines and the bottom loads. What are the differences between the top silver screw and the bottom silver screw? What is the difference between the top brass screw and the bottom brass screw? The picture is pretty simple to read..

Last edited by redbolt; 01-05-10 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-05-10, 05:54 AM
R
Ok...going by the picture of the box you uploaded....you only have 1 cable in the box. That is the "line" that everybody is referring to.

You would connect the black wire to the brass screw, and the white(or yellowed from age) wire to the silver screw on the pair of screws that are labeled "line" on the back of the receptacle.

In this instance, you need not be concerned with the "load" side of the GFCI. That is where any receptacles that are electrically downstream from the GFCI would get connected to. This way, the receptacles downstream would aslo have GFCI protection without having to purchase and install additional GFCI outlets.

Hope this makes some sense to you.

As far as a ground goes....that box may or may not be grounded....it's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like you may have old non-metallic cable there. To be sure if you have a ground, you can use a meter, or a neon tester, and check betwenn the black wire and the metal box.

Old 01-07-10, 01:23 PM
R
pointlessness

well I tried the tester and no power showed up so I touched the wires (mind you I tested on a live outlet before I tested this one to make sure I wouldn't fry myself when touching the lines).

nadda - zip - zilch.

If any one can give me tips on how to get power to this outlet or run wires through myself it would be of great help..as I am sure the electrician will ask for a huge amount that I cannot afford.

Old 01-07-10, 05:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
I looked at the first picture of the old box and only saw 2 insulated conductors. The black would go in the line side brass and the white goes to the line silver.

Did you remember to turn the breaker on or screw the fuse back in that feeds this receptacle?