Help anyone....

Old 01-05-10, 05:15 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Help anyone....

I work in the concrete testing field and we make molds of the concrete and then test the strength after certain amount of days however for the first 24 hours these molds have to sit in a homemade 4 ft long by 2 1/2 ft tall cure box and cure..... the problem i am facing is the temperature needs to be maintained aroun 60 to 70 degrees.... i live in western new york and it gets mighty cold in the winter and need a way to somehow put a portable power supply wit maybe a thermostat and just a light bulb or something to put a little heat in there if it gets a little chilly.... the box is insulated however it still doesnt keep it warm enough in there..... on most of our jobs there may be no electric in site so if anyone has any ideas on a way to maybe make a portable thermostat wit a portable power supply please let me know......

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-10, 05:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
Three things come to mind:

1) You can use some deep cycle 12volt batteries and a AC inverter. There are tons of them out there to choose from. The only issue I can see is the wattage ratings (although it looks like you can get 1500 watt ones) and how long the batteries will last.

2) A generator would provide you all the power you need. Just making it so it won't disappear from the job site is the challange.

3) How about a propane heater with a thermostat?

Old 01-05-10, 05:57 AM
R
I was thinking deep cycle marine battery and an inverter also. He might be able to get away with a couple of 100w light bulbs in there?

Old 01-05-10, 06:03 AM
S
not bad ideas

those are some good ideas just not sure how to hook up the thermostat to a light bulb?

Old 01-05-10, 06:16 AM
R
The easiest way would be to use a line voltage(120v) thermostat. It gets installed on the hot leg of the 120 volt supply to the bulb.

Old 01-05-10, 07:56 AM
S
where to get

where can i look at some of these batteries, thermostats or ac inverters.... or even a place on the intertnet to check on any ideas u may have?

Old 01-05-10, 09:18 AM
R
For batteries...try one of the local marine dealers in WNY. I'm not sure if you can a get deep cycle battery at Wally World or auto stores...but it's worth a try.

For a line voltage thermostat...I think you can buy them at HD. They are used in electric heat applications. I just found this on the HD website...looks like it might good for you?
Ductstat Plug-In Line Voltage Thermostat - DS100 at The Home Depot

Inverters can be found at HD too. Be sure to get one that's rated for your total load in watts.

Old 01-05-10, 11:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
I'm pretty sure "sprawl mart" carries deep cycle batteries.

I don't think the stat that redhouse posted will work for you. That stat is for turning on booster fans when a temp changes in a duct like when the heat kicks on.
You want one like this: RiteTemp Manual Off White Vertical Double Pole (4 wire) High Voltage Thermostat 120/240 Volts Heat Only - GPMG8046 at The Home Depot This will have to be wired to a box and mudring.

Old 01-05-10, 12:08 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
I would skip the inverter and thermostat and just get a 12V heater with a built in temp setting. You can find them at all sorts of auto/trucker/RV/marine type stores. Sometimes in the camping section of sporting goods stores too. Cut off the cigarette lighter plug and wire it directly to a deep cycle battery. My only concern is that you might not be able to get the kind of heat you need from a battery system. Heating a slab of concrete outdoors in the winter takes a lot of energy.

You could get a camping heater that runs on propane canisters or kerosene. A lot more portable, but the temp setting is harder to dial in and it will snuff itself out if your testing box is reasonably air tight.