Attic Lighting Project

Old 01-07-10, 08:43 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Attic Lighting Project

I would appreciate somebody "idiot-checking" me on plans for a little upcoming project. I did something similar quite awhile ago, but I recently ran across something that appeared to indicate it wasn't as simple as I am making it out to be. I live in Georgetown County, SC.

I currently have very simple wiring for an existing attic light. Power source to a switch, then wired directly to the two screws on the light fixture with 14/2 wiring. The outlet junction box is plastic and no ground screw on the fixture, so there's no ground wire involved. I would like to add one more light fixture downstream of the existing light, controlled by the same switch. Both on or both off.

I plan to work within the existing light's junction box, using wire nuts to join (1) existing wire from switch, (2) new short wire to existing light fixture, and (3) new wire running to the new light fixture's junction box. White-to-white, black-to-black.

Doesn't that work? If not, what am I missing? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-10, 08:53 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Wiring

I currently have very simple wiring for an existing attic light. Power source to a switch, then wired directly to the two screws on the light fixture with 14/2 wiring.
The entire branch circuit must be the same wire gauge. A 14 gauge copper circuit must be protected with a 15 amp breaker.

Your wiring plan should work.

Where is the switch located? How would you know if you accidently left the light on in the attic?

Old 01-07-10, 12:38 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your response. I thought I was okay, but an article I read confused me and got me to wondering. I'll use the same gauge.

To your question, the switch is in my garage, with a drop-down staircase to the attic. I have to pay attention to cut it off, otherwise it's easy to leave on. Fortunately, it's a single switch, so if it's up, it on and if it's down, it's off. The existing wiring for the light was done by the builder during home construction.