Stumped with GFCI

Old 01-09-10, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stumped with GFCI

I installed a GFCI and then a downstream regular outlet on a kitchen circuit. When testing the GFCI with a tester, the lights indicate it's wired correctly. When I press the button on the tester, the outlet shuts off as expected.

On the downstream outlet, the tester first indicates the outlet is wired correctly. When I press the button on the tester, the GFCI will buzz and the tester lights remain on indicating a hot/negative reverse.

I've checked the downstream outlet and the wiring is correct. Hot to brass, white to silver and ground to green.

On the GFCI, I have the source white/hot on the LINE half. White is connected to the silver side and hot is connected to the brass screw. On the LOAD half, I have the white/hot wires going to the downstream outlet. In the plastic outlet box, I have the two neutrals (source/downstream) connected together with a pigtail to the ground of the GFCI.

I'm stumped as to why this isn't working! Any thoughts? The electrical inspector was the one to point this out, so the permit will not be signed off until I can get this fixed.

Thanks // MarkDIY

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-10, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
have the two neutrals (source/downstream) connected together with a pigtail to the ground of the GFCI.
You NEVER connect ground to neutral. Was that a typo or am I misreading?

Old 01-09-10, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oops -- you're right - the two grounds (not neutrals) are connected together with a pigtail to the ground screw on GFCI.

I have another GFCI on the same circuit and I wonder if this is affecting it. There is a junction box before the GFCI in question that has a connection to another GFCI on the other side of the kitchen.

Old 01-09-10, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It's best to have only one GFCI on a circuit. If you have more then one the next GFCI should be fed from the line side not the load side. Of course you can't do that if there are any regular receptacles in between unless those receptacles don't require GFCI protection. In that case you need to replace the second GFCI with a regular receptacle and feed from the load side.