Hooking up GFCI Outlet with 6 wires

Old 01-10-10, 06:12 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Hooking up GFCI Outlet with 6 wires

I am trying to install a 2 receptacle GFCI outlet where I am planning to put a small aquarium.

There are six wires in the box (not including ground) - 3 black and 3 white. I figured out which ones were the line, and attached those to the 'line' connections on the outlet. I assumed the other pairs were load, so I connected those wires accordingly. But, the GFI outlet doesn't work when I turn the power back on. if I push reset, the outlet lights up for a split second and then turns off. I haven't found any GFIs on the same circuit. I've tried two different GFI outlets, thinking the first one might be bad. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

How would I reinstall a regular outlet with these wires as well, in case I throw in the towel (I didn't keep track of how the old outlet was installed)? The GFI isn't really necessary - I'm just being overly protective.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-10, 06:43 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would double check to make sure your neutrals aren't crossed.

Line hot and neutral to the line side, then load hot and neutral to the load side.

If this still doesn't work, try disconnecting the load side and see if the GFI stays on. If so, then an issue is with whatever you're feeding downstream.

Do the receptacles that you're hooking to the load side need to be GFI? If not just twist all blacks, and twist all neutrals and make a pigtail and go to your GFI.

*Note: be sure that one of those sets of wires isn't tied to a switch.

Old 01-10-10, 07:01 AM
A
I removed the load wires, with just the line connected, and the GFI still doesn't work... does that narrow it down?

Old 01-10-10, 07:04 AM
A
If I wanted to hookup a regular outlet, does it matter where the line/load wires go, or can I just hook them up to any of the connections?

Old 01-10-10, 07:07 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Gfci

Have you verified that the black and white wires you have connected to the line terminals are both from the line cable?

Old 01-10-10, 07:33 AM
A
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
Have you verified that the black and white wires you have connected to the line terminals are both from the line cable?
When I hook them up to the regular outlet it works.

Old 01-10-10, 07:38 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
When I hook them up to the regular outlet it works
Do you mean if you hook only the two wires you believe are line to a regular receptacle it works? If you connected any of the of the other wires your test is invalid.

Old 01-10-10, 07:41 AM
A
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Do you mean if you hook only the two wires you believe are line to a regular receptacle it works? If you connected any of the of the other wires your test is invalid.
Yes, I only hooked up the one black and one white wire that I think are the line to the old receptacle, and I separately wire nutted the other four wires (2 black, 2 white).

Old 01-10-10, 09:41 AM
A
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
Do the receptacles that you're hooking to the load side need to be GFI? If not just twist all blacks, and twist all neutrals and make a pigtail and go to your GFI.
I just pigtailed the blacks together and whites together, and that worked.