40 amp gfi breaker won't test

Old 01-10-10, 10:38 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
40 amp gfi breaker won't test

I have a 40 amp gfi breaker (cutlar hammer) for a hot tub with a test button on the breaker and the button is stuck in, so I cannot test the gfi to see if its working. It seems that it has been in this positions since I purchased the house 8 years ago. I never tried testing the gfi until recently when I was having hot tub problems and found that the gfi won't test. Im getting power through the breaker and everything is working but Im concerned that the gfi isnt working. I read a post on another website that someone was having the same problem and purchased another gfi breaker but that didnt help either and I never found out what the problem was. Before I buy another gfi breaker which is over $100 I was wondering if anybody could tell me what they think? Is there a test to see if the breaker is good?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-10, 11:18 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can get a GFCI tester, but for one which is designed to test 240 volts, it is going to cost around $80.

I would replace the breaker. If the new breaker did not work, I would return it and get another. If that did not work, I would call the manufacturer.