Moving an elecric wall fixture a few inch's ?

Old 01-11-10, 08:09 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving an elecric wall fixture a few inch's ?

I need to move a wall mounted light fixture a few inches left to center the light fixture over a mirror in a bathroom.
Is there something available to connect to the original box that will allow me to shift the box so I can attach the new fixtutre to the wall without tearing up the wall to do it.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-10, 09:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
I know of nothing that will do what you want. There might be other ways to do it with out tearing up that wall.

If there is no framing or plumbing between the old location and new location you might be able to just remove the existing box, take the cable or conduit, and mount it to a new remodel box in the new location. Of course you will not know this untill you cut the hole for the new box.

If there is framing in the way, you might be able to remove the old box and use a shallow pan box.

If you are planing to use a bar type fixture you might be able to feed it off center.

Old 01-11-10, 10:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
You may not have enough length in the cable to allow you to move the box. This would mean that you would need to splice on additional cable and leave the original box permanently accessible.

Old 01-11-10, 10:52 AM
B
I have to shift the mount for the light just two inch's left.

I was thinking to use some sort of mounting bracket and anchor it into the wall and just slip the wires across to the metal ouitlet box. I want to be sure I do not cause a hazard.

if I do as I am suggesting a portion of the existing box will be visable how can I hide that?

It is difficult to just move the box because this house uses all metal conduit

Old 01-11-10, 06:53 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It is difficult to just move the box because this house uses all metal conduit
Your options aren't good with conduit. A different fixture might be your best option. A light bar can be fastened to the wall instead of the box so therefore can be centered.

With what you have you would need to open the wall. I can see ways of doing it but if your code requires conduit it might no be easy. New longer wires installed in the conduit. If the conduit is vertical I'd suggest cutting a couple of feet off it then extending it with Greenfield so you can swing it to the new position. If your very lucky it is horizontal the job will be easier.

Above assumes you don'r have flexixable metallic cable but actual conduit and NM-b is not permited by local code.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-11-10 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-12-10, 12:06 PM
B
found an offset mounting bracket at HD for 2.00, it moved the fixture 1.5 inch which is almost perfect

thanks for all the advice

Old 01-12-10, 12:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Learn something new everyday. Thanks for letting us know how it worked out.