Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

New Dishwasher Install - no dedicated circuit - Ontario code?

Old 01-11-10, 09:35 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am installing a new dishwasher in an old house where there has never been one. I need to wire it in, but am uncertain on a few things.

I realize a dedicated circuit is best (so it seems), but as my basement is finished and the panel is at the opposite end of the house, this would be a major thing for me to do. The option I am considering is taking power from an existing circuit. The clothes washer is directly below, and seems to be the only significant thing on an existing 14-2 line (the line goes to an outlet, which the washer & the phone / modem is plugged into). I was considering extending this up to the new dishwasher. In the specs, the washer and dishwasher seem to have roughly the same draw.
I am unable to find out for sure about the codes regarding this situation in Ontario.
- Is this allowed?
- Is this unsafe?

Another option is to run the new line along the floor or wall of the basement sort of like a raceway, to below the kitchen area. Can I do this?

Is there any online resources to learn about the local codes?

Thanks for any help. I'm just starting to learn about this stuff.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-10, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
An experienced electrician can many times do what seams imposable. It might be possible to fish a new cable from the panel up to an attic and then over to the kitchen or between floor joists and up through the floor. Tapping into the laundry circuit is not allowed and could be unsafe. It will for sure result in blown fuses or tripping circuit breakers.

Running a raceway such as EMT or Wiremold on the surface is allowed. Unprotected NM cable is not.

The NEC is not really a "user friendly" book. One to get started with is "Wiring Simplified" which can be found at some home centers and book stores.

Old 01-11-10, 09:57 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by tamaracktrees View Post
The option I am considering is taking power from an existing circuit.
A dishwasher generally does not require a dedicated circuit, but there are restrictions on what it can share with. It cannot share with kitchen countertop, dining room, pantry, bathroom or laundry receptacles circuits. It could share with pretty much any other circuit, however if it is on with lighting you will notice a flicker as the dishwasher runs through its cycle. The most common circuit to share is the garbage disposal as long as it is not already powered by one of the above prohibited circuits.

Another option is to run the new line along the floor or wall of the basement sort of like a raceway, to below the kitchen area. Can I do this?
Yes, you can use a surface raceway like Wiremold to run wiring on the outside of a finished wall. Some people don't like the look of it, but it's not too bad if painted to match.

Is there any online resources to learn about the local codes?
Not usually.