All 220 in my home stopped working HELP!!

Old 01-13-10, 09:28 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry All 220 in my home stopped working HELP!!

Ok My electric range, water heater, dryer and furnace stopped working yesterday and I can't figure it out everything has worked for years and it all stopped at one time on my dryer it will come on but not heat up, the stove's lights will come on but no burners or oven will heat take's an hour and a half for the oven to get to 100* when I have it set at 500*, The furnace won't come on at all, and I have no hot water......
Ok did I mention that my wife and daughter are home and it is 30* or less outside? This is driving me crazy.. Please help I have very little money as it is..

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-10, 11:24 PM
F
Call the POCO asap they have power outage call number and they useally don't charge to come out and check their side.

Sound like you lost one of the hot leg and any 240 volts devices are on like waterheater etc act like bridge to the open hot side so have POCO check it out first then see what they have to say and go from there.

Merci,Marc

POCO is your electric supplier.

Last edited by pcboss; 01-14-10 at 04:43 AM. Reason: explained POCO.
Old 01-14-10, 08:20 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Usually this problem is a loose wire outside on the pole that the power company will find and fix, but if not you will need to have an electrician in to check the main panel and main breaker.

Old 01-14-10, 02:40 PM
T
fixed some how?

Ok before I called the power company I removed the cover on my breaker box and and visually inspected all the wires and everything was fine I put the cover back on flipped on the breaker and everything came back on. Confusing huh.. I flipped all the breaskers yesterday to no avail but it solved the issue today. Why is that?Beer 4U2

Old 01-14-10, 02:51 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
I'm guessing that your main breaker is going bad, watch it for any more signs of failure such as flickering lights, arcing, burning smell and so forth. Any of those symptoms would require replacement of the breaker.

The trouble with this is that if the breaker gets so bad that it causes heat damage in the main panel the panel replacement is much more expensive.

Old 01-14-10, 03:44 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What size is your main breaker? Do you have electric heat, electric stove, electric dryer, electric water heater?