New range

Old 01-14-10, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New range

I'm in the planning stages for a kitchen remodel and I'm reviewing all the electrical issues. The current range has a 3 wire(red, black, white) with all conductors insulated, but no bare ground. I'm assuming the white is serving as a neutral/ground. Assuming a new range will be 4 wire, is it acceptable to run a bare ground back to the panel that is separate from the 3 wire sheathed romex?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-10, 01:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Your plan is acceptable; the ground wire should be green or bare #10 copper and should follow the same rules for fastening and protection as romex. The new range receptacle should be a NEMA 14-50R, and the range should have a NEMA 14-50P cord set installed and the internal bonding jumper removed per range installation manual.

Old 01-14-10, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. Running a ground will be simpler than running a whole new circuit.

Old 01-15-10, 10:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Just a note to future readers of this thread: the OP's situation is somewhat unique in that the existing circuit has three insulated wires (black, red, white). Many old range circuits have only two insulated wires (black, red or white, bare). This type of circuit cannot have a supplemental ground wire installed because the neutral would be uninsulated.