receptacles near bar height kitchen eating area?

Old 01-15-10, 12:35 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
receptacles near bar height kitchen eating area?

here is what one end of new kitchen will look like:

this is the sink with dishwasher to right. the backsplash will come up and then the other countertop (outlined in thick black) will be elevated to 42" and will be area to sit and eat (while facing kitchen) so I am planning on putting receptacle within the backsplash to right and left of sink (the black rectangles) to meet code requirements. the kitchen cabinets continue on left side of drawing downward and I will have more receptacles there. but what about the wall next to the bar height counter? think that should get a receptacle so you can plug something in while sitting at the bar without reaching over to try to get ones in backsplash? and if so, should this be part of one of the SABC for kitchen (on GFCI) or part of family room which is at top of page above this countertop (on AFCI)?

and what about the hip wall (or is it knee wall? certainly closer in height to my hips than my knees!) that separates the cabinets from family room and supports the higher countertop-will that be required to have receptacles? it is 8' long, but there will be stools to eat there so receptacles would be blocked. if it needs receptacles, the same issue of where to bring power from comes up.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-10, 06:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
You may put one at the bar height on the wall but I don't think it would be required. I could be on the SABC.

The half wall (how about that? ) is required to have a receptacle is there is 12' or more with out a receptacle per NEC rules. This shouldn't be on the SABC.

The receptacles that are part of the SABC need GFCI protection. The family room receptacles need AFCI protection per 2008 NEC code.

Old 01-15-10, 07:01 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
not sure I understand about needing receptacle if 12' or more? the wall is 8' long (all under the bar counter) this will then meet another wall that will be about 1 1/2' long then end. so it isn't 12' and it is not connected to any other wall for the "receptacle every 12' rule to apply". but I thought another rule was a wall over 2' long needed receptacle? but I wasn't sure if this applied nice this has the stools there and not regular wall?

do you think putting one at bar side is more useful than having them at your feet in 1/2 wall or using the ones near sink?