aluminum electrical conduit?

Old 01-17-10, 11:33 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
aluminum electrical conduit?

I'm starting a job at my dock, on salt water. PVC flex conduit turns brown/black in a few years, EMT will rust after about 10 years or so. I'm looking for a 1/2", or 3/4" EMT replacement, preferably in aluminum, maybe even stainless steel. Does it exist? This will mount exposed, near the top of a seawall.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-10, 11:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
telecom guy.,

As far for the dock with salt water they are pretty hard on almost anything IMO I will just stay away from Alum they are not any better than PVC.

However with PVC they can withstand the salt water without issue but the key item is sunlight reseit that how they become brown / black in few years.

Yeah there is stainless steel conduit on market but kinda pretty pricey and little tough to bend as well but for fitting like set screw or compression fittings you may want to check with electical suppiler to see if they have stainless steel fittings you need I think they will have to be order unless like in your area then it should be a stock item.

The other option I used from time to time is PVC coated steel conduit they hold up pretty well with harsh evroment.

If any more question just holler one of us will give you a straght answer.

Merci,Marc

Old 01-17-10, 12:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I know they make rigid aluminum conduit, but it might be kinda hard to find in small quantities. I'd try a supply house or industrial supply like Grainger. You can also get rigid brass conduit which is sometimes used in pool installs because of the corrosive chlorine environment.

Why not just use rigid steel conduit (RMC) or intermediate (IMC) and die cast aluminum boxes? You can prime and paint it for additional corrosion protection.

Old 01-17-10, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Not to butt in...just curious...
The grey glue together PVC is affected by sun? Or did you just mean the flex? Any reason why you can't use rigid PVC?
Thx

Old 01-17-10, 12:09 PM
Gunguy,

You are not butting this one and I know this is a good question and unforetally most PVC conduit I know most are not sunlight resient at all if it have marking say " sunlight resenint " then it should be ok for exposed useage.

If no marking on that then it will bring up new issue.

I know standard steel conduit will hold up pretty well but as Ibpooks suggest brass conduit now that is IMO is the best way due they can withstand harsh situation.

I know I did work on water treatment plant not too long ago in France we have mixed bag of PVC coated steel conduit and Brass conduit they hold up pretty well in that kind of everoment.

Merci,Marc

Old 01-17-10, 02:17 PM
nap
TC guy said EMT will last about 10 years. Unless he wants to pay the price of stainless or PVC coated rigid steel, I would simply go to rigid steel and forget about it.

even stainless and brass are corroded by saltwater and air pollutants so their life span would have limitations as well.

second choice would be PVC coated rigid and then stainless.

but to answer the basic question;

yes, if you have the money, you can get aluminum and SS conduit. Personally, I've never seen brass but will accept marc and the others that it is available.

Old 01-17-10, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Just a thought....how about painted PVC? I know anyone with a dock (boat?) knows about maintenance....lol...so every few years a fresh coat of paint. Nothing lasts forever..but since PVC won't rust from the inside out..the paint would keep the exterior looking good.

The Carlon site says it has an indefinite life span supposedly..even when exposed to UV .

My time in the Navy convinced me..that unless its made of diamond (ok...maybe Inconel) it will need replaced in a salt water environment.

Old 01-17-10, 03:10 PM
Yes aluminum conduit exists....I have installed plenty of it. It's threaded, so you would need threading tools...or threadless fittings, which I don't care for.

You can also get Plastibond.... PVC coated rigid conduit...good stuff too. I've installed lots of that as well. Mostly in chemical plants though. Plastibond is threaded too, and requires special(or altered) dies to thread it.

Old 01-17-10, 03:12 PM
OK, thanks guys. You've given me some good leads. I see now a source for 304SS EMT in the SE USA. I'll call after the holidays. Grainger also lists aluminum, in case the stainless is wildly expensive.

Old 01-17-10, 05:07 PM
nap
Originally Posted by telecom guy View Post
Grainger also lists aluminum, in case the stainless is wildly expensive.

Not sure what you consider to be "wildly expensive" but both aluminum and SS fall into that category for me. It's been awhile since I priced any out. For a hoot, how about posting the prices you find.

Old 01-17-10, 05:24 PM
I don't mind it as long the other moderators don't object this I know normally it not allowed in this fourm but to compare price I may give you little leeway with it but just don't get out of the subject otherwise I will edit it.

Merci,Marc

Old 01-17-10, 06:18 PM
nap
thanks marc.

just a question of curiosity and surely not one of shopping for a price. If it is a problem, then I'll have to assuage my curiosity by personal research

Old 01-17-10, 06:38 PM
Naw it is not a problem at all.

I will have to dig up the price of SS emt conduit to see what they cost over my side { in France } I think it will be not much diffrence between the two depending on the exhange rate is. { I go by Euros }

Merci,Marc

Old 01-20-10, 12:37 PM
1/2", 10', in 304 stainless is ~ $35. That's a single, 10' length. So, for small jobs near the salt water, not too awful bad. There is also a full array of SS fittings.

Old 01-20-10, 02:30 PM
nap
Not too bad (for limited uses) but I think that is the same price I just paid for a 2" piece of rigid steel at Lowes.

I have never bent SS but I bet it doesn't bend like EMT. I would try to learn before trying to bend it, if you intend on bending anything anyway. Could save a few trashed pieces.

Old 01-20-10, 07:34 PM
Not bad price for a stick of SS conduit.

I just got my price checked it 38 € for 10 feet SS conduit.

However it will be little tougher to bend feel almost the same with rigid conduits are but little more firmer so if you going to bend them don't use diecast alum bender get steel verison if you can find it/

I allready broke one before so I know how hard to bend it.

Merci,Marc