Wiring a bathroom fan

Old 01-18-10, 11:57 PM
Wiring a bathroom fan

I am working on installing a bathroom fan. There is currently a light controlled from a switch. My plans are to control the fan seperately from the light. So, the plan is to install a bigger box and add a switch. Can I just jumper from the light switch to the fan switch with a short wire or do I need to go to another junction point? The wire gauge can handle the current.
Thanks,
J

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-10, 03:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There will need to be an additional wire in your mix in order to separately operate the light and fan. Generally a 12-3 or 14-3 cable is run from your switch box to the fan/light. It allows each of the two switches to operate it's associated fixture separately. Where does your power enter the picture? At the switch or at the fixture?

Old 01-20-10, 05:50 AM
The power or hot wire enters the picture at the switch. I am planning to wire the fan and the light to seperate locations in the room. My plan is to put in a 2 gang box and use the existing switch for the light and the second switch for the fan. Can I just jump off the power wire coming into the switch? I would bet in order to do this I will need to upgrade the light wiring to 12/4 in and bring back the neutral and ground.
Am I on track? Thanks for the help.
J

Old 01-20-10, 07:39 AM
Group Moderator
Can I just jump off the power wire coming into the switch?
Yes.
I would bet in order to do this I will need to upgrade the light wiring to 12/4 in and bring back the neutral and ground
No, you could use 12-3. You could also leave the existing 12-2 and add a second 12-2 but given the small size of the connection box at the fan/light it is best just to abandon the existing 12-2 and replace with 12-3. Red would be the hot for one function and black the hot for the other function at the fixture.

Old 02-24-10, 02:19 AM
Bathroom fan

I finally got to this project. I was wrong, the power comes into the light, then to the switch. So, I am thinking 12/3 from the light to the switches. Then a 12/2 from the light to the fan. The 12/3 will use the white wire marked with tape to go back into the light fixture and tie with the 12/2 going to the fan. See if this makes sense. The power comes into the light fixture H,N,G. the hot is connected to the 12/3 going to the switches. at the switches the black wire is jumped from one switch to the other and the white ( is marked) and used to power the light, the red is used to power up the fan which is connected in the light fixture. Will this work or should I put in a juction box somewhere to make the connections at the light fixture.
Thanks,
J

Old 02-24-10, 05:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What are you calling 12-3? Is is blk/red/wht and a ground or blk/wht and ground?

Using a switch loop would normally only require XX-2 cable. This would be a constant hot on the white and the switched hot on the black.

If the circuit is 15 amp you can do this with #14 wire.

Old 02-24-10, 06:18 AM
Adding a Fan

I am planning to wire the fan and the light to seperate locations in the room.
Hey, Guys, could this all be done with 12/2 or 14/2?

1. Cable from existing ceiling box to new ceiling box. Always hot.
2. Cable from new ceiling box to 2-gang switch box. This would be another switch loop.

Old 02-25-10, 02:34 AM
What I am calling 12/3 is blk/red/wht with a ground. The extra conducted is used for the fan. The light fixture is being used as the ceiling box. I figured the wht could feed the switches and the blk and red could be the feed out of the switches to the light and fan joining at the light fixture. does this sound right.
Thanks,
J

Old 02-25-10, 07:00 AM
You need two switch loops, thats 4 wires plus a ground wire at the switch box going to the fan/light box.

Old 02-25-10, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by buzz_mn_58 View Post
You need two switch loops, that’s 4 wires plus a ground wire at the switch box going to the fan/light box.
Actually the poster could use either two 12-2 or 12-3 as proposed. With the 12-3 he would replace the existing 12-2. The white of the 12-3 would carry power to both switches in the box. The black and red would be connected to individual switches or a duplex switch. At the first light one of the returns and neutral would go to the cable to the new fan. The other return would go to the existing light. All neutrals tied together. The white of the 12-3 would be recolored on both ends blue or some other color except white or green or gray.