GE cooktop with no neutral.

Old 01-24-10, 10:17 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE cooktop with no neutral.

Have a GE JP651 cooktop (240 volts) that has no neutral wire. It has a black, red, green and a screw attached to the wiring box of the unit.

The house has a 8 gauge wire in the wall that consists of 4 wires (black, red, white & a bare wire). The black and red are hot, the white is neutral, and the bare wire is ground.

How would I go about wiring this cooktop, since there is no neatel wire?

Thank You,
Fernando

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-10, 02:41 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Assuming you desire to hard-wire it rather than using a plug and receptacle you would simply "dead-end" the white wire in the junction box by screwing an appropriately sized wire nut on the white wire. Connect the other wires as you normally would, black to black, red to red and green to bare.

Old 01-25-10, 04:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
One more tidbit of information, 240 volts needs no neutral. Now, if you had clocks, fans, etc running off the same unit, you would need it, but your top only needs the two hots and a grounding wire for the frame.

Old 01-25-10, 09:02 AM
F
Thank you very much for the replies.

chandler,

When you say, "grounding wire for the frame". There is a green wire and a screw that's in the wiring box, on the cooktop. Would I be able to simply connect the ground wire (in the wall) to the green wire in the cooktop? Or do I have to factor in this serperate screw into the grounding?

furd,

Would I need to dead-end the neutral in the panel as well, by remving it from the neutral bar?

Thank You,
Fenando

Old 01-25-10, 06:11 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
There is a green wire and a screw that's in the wiring box, on the cooktop. Would I be able to simply connect the ground wire (in the wall) to the green wire in the cooktop? Or do I have to factor in this serperate screw into the grounding?
What do the instructions tell you to do? Usually if there is both a screw AND a green wire either can be used for the equipment grounding connection.

Would I need to dead-end the neutral in the panel as well, by remving it from the neutral bar?
No, just at the cooktop connection box.

Old 01-31-10, 09:59 PM
F
I would like to thank everyone for all of their replies. I was able to connect the cooktop, as instructed, and everything worked out. I was even able to wire the cooktop to a plug, removing the neutral prong.

Old 01-31-10, 10:12 PM
F
Originally Posted by fernandof View Post
I would like to thank everyone for all of their replies. I was able to connect the cooktop, as instructed, and everything worked out. I was even able to wire the cooktop to a plug, removing the neutral prong.

Did you use the 4 wire cord right ?? and you remove the netural blade out of the cord ??

If you mention that in first place we will tell you the correct cord to use that will save some of the issue going on here.

Merci,Marc

Old 02-01-10, 01:44 PM
F
I made my own cable (red, black, white & neautral); did not use the neutral cable, when making the cord. I bought a plug and removed the neutral prong.

Old 02-01-10, 04:24 PM
F
Normally white conductor is used for netrual and senice you did not mention green that is grounding conductor.

I just want to make sure you understand that you have green conductor there if there that is fine { ditto with bare conductor }

Merci,Marc