Whole house dims

Old 01-25-10, 05:17 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whole house dims

All the lights in my mother in laws house dim when an appliance kicks on. At first I thought it was just the furnace doing it, but I put the ammeter on it and it was within parameters. The as I started paying attention, when the dryer is running and the washer machine agitator motor is running the lights flicker (different circuit). When I plugged in my shop vac upstairs, they dimmed, then the shop vac slowed down when the furnace kicked on. The kitchen appliances cause similar results.

I'm guessing the problem is between the main panel and the pole.

Any other theorys??

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-10, 06:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
Call your power company NOW. These are classic signs of a loose neutral. They should come out for free and are available 24 hours a day. Ask for a trouble truck and explain your situation.

If the problem is not on their end you will need to call an electrician to find out where the problem is on your end.

Old 01-25-10, 06:55 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just don't wait call the Power Company now they have toll free number or hotline number and call them they will come out pretty fast.

You have classic sign of loose netural and this is very serious situation that need to be taken care ASAP.

Merci,Marc