New manufactured house service entry.

Old 01-26-10, 04:29 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New manufactured house service entry.

I am a little stumped. I have a new manufactured house and I am preparing the electric for inspection. I have a meter base with disconnect (all 1 unit), horn kit, and my service to panel wire (4 wire, 2 black, 1 black with white stripe and 1 green). I Hooked these wires as specified into the main panel.

I am confused where the the two ground wires attach in the disconnect part of the meter base. I have no problem with the two hot, they are obvious enough. And I have a single lug on the neutral bar of the disconnect where I assume the black with white stripe attaches. Where do I attach the green neutral wire?

Second my solid copper ground wire. Does this come up from my grounding rod and into my disconnect and its neutral strip before continuing into the house panel box? or does it merely hook directly into the house box, bypassing the disconnect?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I know I should leave it to a pro but here I am

Last edited by wvwoody; 01-26-10 at 06:08 AM. Reason: add pics I hope
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-10, 04:45 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
In your main disconnect, all the neutrals and grounds will be connected together. If you don't have enough connections for these, you'll need to purchase additional lugs suitable for this equipment.

Also, just use the terms neutral and ground. There aren't 2 in the same.

The solid copper ground if it goes to your rods should come in the main disconnect also.

If they have a solid copper ground from the frame of the home, it needs to go to the ground in the house panel.

Last edited by wirenut1110; 01-26-10 at 04:48 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-04-10, 10:00 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Passed Inspection!

For future reference to anyone else, especially us electrical ignorant peoples.
I have a meter base with disconnect all in one unit installed on new manufactured home. Local code requires I have 4 wire service entry from this disconnect into the house. Two main black wires (hot) hookup is obvious in the main lugs. Neutral wires were less obvious to the electric ignorant (like myself). Looking at pictures There is a neutral lug bar on the side where the black with white stripe (neutral) hooks into and the bar it is attached to behind one of the screws is where the green wire hooks. In my main box inside the house, the two main lugs = hot obviously. On right side of box is neutral bar that has all the white wires tied in which is where my black with white stripe wire hooks. Left side of box is bar with all solid copper wires which has lug where my green wire attached. This green wire is essentially what ties my ground to the disconnect. Also I have two copper clad ground rods in the ground and 6 feet apart and 6 inches deep with solid copper ground wire running continuous between and into the disconnect/meter all in one unit and hooking into the same neutral/ground bar in my disconnect into which the green and black with white stripe wires connected. I had another solid copper wire ran from there also and into my main panel but the inspector had me remove it as it was not necessary just redundant as this is what the green wire was doing. So take this info for what it is worth and however it may be helpful to you in your circumstance. I searched long and hard and never did get any useable info dumbed down for my ability to understand it.