main is tripping not breakers

Old 01-29-10, 12:45 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
main is tripping not breakers

For the past week or so I have had the main trip like four times. usually during a time of day when there is a good load, dryer, pool motor, heat etc. but no breakers are tripping. I called a respected electrician who suggested a new main and two double 60's which we did but it has happened again. Shut off the pool power and no probs, heat or anything. Let the pool run and the breaker warms up some but as of now, no tripped switch. had the pool motor checked on site and is at full power working correctly but can't be sure the fan switch isn't burnt w/o a full breakdown. that should not trip the main anyhow, two curcuits in between the main and that.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-10, 02:19 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
What is the rating of the main (60A, 100A, etc)? Did your electrician check the current on the main with a clamp meter? When you say "heat" what type of heating system is this?

Old 01-29-10, 02:37 PM
M
this is a 200A main and the heating system is an all electric heat pump. 2 units on separate breakers. He did use a clamp during the inspection but I did not see his complete the install. He is coming back in the am to try and figure this out.

Old 01-31-10, 03:04 PM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
Sounds like loose connections or a bad main breaker. What brand panel do you have and how old is it? Is service entrance wiring copper or aluminum? Have the connections in the meter socket and the main breaker been checked yet?

Old 01-31-10, 04:18 PM
F
I am leaning toward to the loose connetion however you mention electric heat up and I am pretty sure you have electric back up heat system that can get pretty hard on the system as well.

How big the electric heating strip is? It useally tell how many KW on the nameplate info.

Really that electrician should come back and check it over very carefully on the system.

Merci,Marc

Old 01-31-10, 07:23 PM
"I called a respected electrician who suggested a new main and two double 60's which we did but it has happened again."

So, are you saying the electrician changed the 200 amp main breaker and two 60 amp breakers? What are the 60 amp breakers for? We need more information if you want help on this. How big is the service? What connected loads do you have? How many breakers and what are the amperages for your heating system?

Old 02-03-10, 05:34 PM
M
Sorry for the slow reply guys, it has been hectic here. We found the problem(s) this weekend and have got it licked it looks like. Once we replaced the bad main and breakers, there was still 1.8 amps coming through the line between the panel and the subpanel at the pool. He figured a short in the line so we Cut in a junction box and new line where it is buriied, that disappeared. There was also about 257 to 260 amps comning into the house and the poco dialed that back. Now everything is running cool on both ends. After a couple of dry days we will be able to bury the line and hopefully turn a page. Thanks for all of the ides and the prior advice to others i was able to glean over while scratching my head. I probably kept myslef from getting hurt byt reading these past posts.

Old 02-03-10, 05:44 PM
F
Originally Posted by murraybd View Post
Sorry for the slow reply guys, it has been hectic here. We found the problem(s) this weekend and have got it licked it looks like. Once we replaced the bad main and breakers, there was still 1.8 amps coming through the line between the panel and the subpanel at the pool. He figured a short in the line so we Cut in a junction box and new line where it is buriied, that disappeared. There was also about 257 to 260 amps comning into the house and the poco dialed that back. Now everything is running cool on both ends. After a couple of dry days we will be able to bury the line and hopefully turn a page. Thanks for all of the ides and the prior advice to others i was able to glean over while scratching my head. I probably kept myslef from getting hurt byt reading these past posts.

That good to know and thanks for letting us know oh by the way the 257 to 260 " amps " is not correct it is volt not amp .,,

Merci,Marc

Old 02-03-10, 09:04 PM
"There was also about 257 to 260 amps comning into the house and the poco dialed that back"

OUCH! That's HIGH voltage for a residence. The worst I have seen, many years ago, was 144/288 on a single phase residential service after a storm. Really makes the old kitchen clock hum!

Old 02-04-10, 08:55 AM
M
Talking

I saw that after i posted it and knew the folks on here would forgive that one. I guess I proved my novice rating with that one!