Receptacle spacing.....is there a "standard"?

Old 01-30-10, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Receptacle spacing.....is there a "standard"?

Freind of mine is finishing a basement, and I am moving boxes and receptacles off the block walls and going to attach new boxes to his wall studs. Existing is EMT down the wall into a 2 gang metal box with 2 duplex receptacles w/ metal cover.
When i pull these off and out....am curious if there is a standard or "code" spacing for new single duplex receptacles along a common wall. Just curious.....Thanks in advance.

Old 01-30-10, 07:44 AM
W
Received 36 Votes on 33 Posts
Receptacle Spacing

NEC 210.52 (A) (1) : A maximum of 12 ft between receptacles. This is not a quote.

Old 01-30-10, 07:48 AM
R
Code states "that receptacles shall be installed such that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more than six feet from a receptacle outlet"

So about every 12' is code....but I usally go closer than that, depending on room layout.

Old 01-30-10, 07:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
Since you are now making this a habitable room you would need to follow the spacing commonly called the 6-12 rule. Within 6' of entering the room and no more than 12' between them. Any wall 2' or more would get a receptacle. Basically no spot along the floorline is more than 6' from a receptacle.

Old 01-30-10, 07:53 AM
That answers my question.... Thank you folks!!

Old 01-30-10, 10:34 AM
B
Actually the way receptacles are installed is quite outdated.

And this is done in a manner today like it has "always been done", yet this no longer suits our needs!

If you go around and look at the outlets in most people's homes, you will see areas of high use. A power strip installed because there are not enough outlets there for all the "gizmos".

Like in one corner of my living room I have about 7 electronic / electrical gadgets. So what I need there is about 8 outlets.

What could have been installed was two 4-plex outlets side by side.

Of course when I wired it, I did the same old thing... One duplex outlet, then a couple of feet, then another duplex outlet...

So think about what all you will be plugging in, then add more outlets in that area if they are needed. Install a 4-plex (4 outlets) if needed.

And then there is the home entertainment center which needs about 15 plugs (TV, Stereo, Cable TV box, Play station, etc.)

Keep in mind that furniture will hide the outlets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: