electricl problem

Old 01-30-10, 06:27 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electricl problem

Old house...lot of outlets, etc...on sme circuit. All of sudden today, I lose power on one breaker. Breaker isn't tripped. I have power on part of the ciruit but not all of it. I had a small space heater plugged into one of the outlets on the circuit but i'm beginning to think I have an issue after the first outlet because thats the only place i Have poser to. Any ideas where to check?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-10, 06:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 73 Posts
Heavy draw appliances like heaters will tend to cause marginal connections to fail open. I would turn the power off to that circuit and remove the receptacle. Look for loose connections. Move the connections to the screw terminals if they aren't there already.

Old 01-30-10, 06:59 PM
P
I'm not getting any power to the outlet at all..changed the recepticle.no power at all used a multi tester to check it...touched all combination of wires...etc...still no power to the outlet or the rest of the circuit...there is at least one gfc outlet in the circuit too

Old 01-30-10, 07:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Now check the connections at any working receptacle on that circuit. Be sure to also check for a tripped breaker.

Old 01-30-10, 07:05 PM
P
not the breaker as far as i know....first part of the circuit works...there is an interruption someplace...can't figure out where.

Old 01-30-10, 07:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The open is most likely either in the last working or first non-working receptacle.

Old 01-30-10, 07:33 PM
P
I will check em all I guess..... I hope i can trace the path

Old 02-03-10, 10:39 PM
T
HI! I have been doing some troubleshooting work same as your problem and this is what I've done. I checked all the outlets with a polarity tester and see what the tester indicates, then test it with a multimeter. You can do the same. You can check each outlet with a multimeter by checking the voltages between the neutral and live slots of the receptacles. If it reads below 100volts or even less, you have a loose neutral somewhere along the loop/line. Check also the line to ground on the receptacle. If it reads 120volts, then the live wire is ok and the neutral line has problem.(If you don't get any voltage reading the live wire is also loose) I noticed that most wiring on receptacles are done on the back/push slots of the receptacle and not wired on the terminal screws. In time it becomes corroded or loose and that become the problem that you don't have power on the outlets. Good luck!