Adding a neutral wire

Old 01-31-10, 08:14 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a neutral wire

Hello,

I am wondering how to add a neutral wire to any of my j-boxes. Right now they have 3 wires, which I am assuming are hot, (black)return (white)and ground(bare). I was looking at some insteon switches and they stated that they needed a neutral wire to work. Do I have to run new wire with 4 wires to the j-boxes all the way from the main panel?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-10, 09:16 PM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Wagx99 View Post
Hello,

I am wondering how to add a neutral wire to any of my j-boxes. Right now they have 3 wires, which I am assuming are hot, (black)return (white)and ground(bare). I was looking at some insteon switches and they stated that they needed a neutral wire to work. Do I have to run new wire with 4 wires to the j-boxes all the way from the main panel?
If this is a 120 volt circuit, the white wire would be the neutral conductor. I think what the instructions are saying is that you must have a neutral conductor at the switch box.

Old 01-31-10, 10:02 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have just only three wire with single cable comming in the junction box then you have switch loop but if you have second cable comming in then you should have legit netural there.

BTW the switched loop it should have remarked white conductor in there { I know most case it never done but per NEC code you have to do that only with cable but with conduit (pipe) then no you can't do that }

Merci,Marc