Bathroom Electrical Questions

Old 02-01-10, 01:31 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Electrical Questions

Good Evening All

I have recently tried to replace an outlet in a finished basement bathroom with a GFCI outlet. I tried to simply remove the old outlet and install the new. However now the light and the outlet do not work as before.

The power comes from the panel breaker with a three wire bundle. Both wire attach to the outlet, with a short black jumper to the switch. There is a second wire leading to the light that returns via a white to the outlet. Both grounds are grouped together and attached to the outlet.

Any ideas on what i am have wrong. Again, my original attempt at a straight replacement did not work and has caused the frustration.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-10, 01:48 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
All your wires should hook to the line side of the GFI.

You shouldn't have anything hooked to the load side. You may have to make a pigtail if you have too many wires.

Old 02-01-10, 01:50 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
What did you put on the LINE side and what did you put on the LOAD side of the GFCI?

Old 02-01-10, 02:08 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I went back after writing the post and found that the new gfci outlet was infact opposite of the configuration of the old outlet ie line on bottom, load on top, Once i took everything apart and reassembled, it work correctly Thanks for your help

Old 02-01-10, 02:36 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
found that the new gfci outlet was infact opposite of the configuration of the old outlet ie line on bottom, load on top,
Glad you got it. Just remember next time receptacles don't have a top or bottom. There is screw color and if GFCI line and load side.