Wiring two outlets to one switch

Old 02-03-10, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring two outlets to one switch

Hello.
I am reconfiguring a single light in my basement to two switched outlets.

The main power is run into the switch. Then there is a 14-3wg to the light box. At the light box the red and white go to the light and the black is wirenutted to a 14-2wg that goes to a smoke alarm. And the white from the 14-2 goes to the light fixture. The two grounds are wire nutted at the light box.

Now I do not need the light but I would like to run two switched outlets off of this switch instead of the light. What would be the easiest way to do this? Would something work like running 14-2 from the exsisting light box to the first outlet and then another 14-2 to the second outlet? Also could I just wire nut the wires in the light box and rmove the light and replace with a cover or do I need a different type of box? The thing that is throwing me off here is the smoke alarm wire coming into the light box. Cause the smokes are on a separate circuit. I do know that when I hit the breaker for the lights the light has absolutley no power in the light box, inlcuding the wires going to the smoke detector.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-10, 11:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 29 Posts
If the one breaker kills the power to both the light and smoke alarm they are on the same circuit. What you are dealing with is one switched hot for the light and a constant hot feeding the smoke alarm.

You could run a new 14-2 cable from the existing light box if there is enough cubic inch capacity to add the new cable, and connect to the same wires as the old fixture. Do not make any other changes. If the box is not large enough you would install a larger box and remake the connections as they are now.

Old 02-03-10, 12:19 PM
So in this case my red wire is the switched hot and the black is the constant hot. So I would want to connect my new 14-2 wire to the switched hot, (red) and the white.

Here is my proposed plan:
I am going to remove the light and use the light box as a junction box, going to put a bigger box on for capacity. I will wire nut the two whites that are already there plus the white from the new 14-2 for the two outlets, I will wire nut all grounds. I will wire nut the constant hots that are already there, blacks in this case. Then I will wire nut the red switched hot to the black wire from my new 14-2 that runs to the first outlet. Then I will connect the black to the hot side of the outlet and the white to the neutrals side and then run another segment of 14-2 from that outlet to the next one. By using the second screws on the outlets. Then at the last outlet I will hook the black again to the hot side and the white to the neutral and be done.
This sound right?

Old 02-03-10, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds good. The only thing I didn't see was that you were going to connect all the grounds together and also to the receptacles. If the boxes are metal they need to be grounded also.

Old 02-03-10, 01:10 PM
yeah I thought about that after the post...All the grounds will be connected and also connected to the receptacles. They are plastic boxes so no worry on that one. Thanks for the help.

For some reason the electricians labled a breaker "smokes" but after checking it seems all the smokes are all on the "basement lights" circuit. That gets me wondering what is on the "smokes" circuit, and any other circuit. Good reason to always double check a circuit and make sure is really dead before just diving in.

Old 02-03-10, 06:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would be a good idea to go thru the entire panel and verify all the labels are correct. This could save you a lot of time should you need to shut something off in a hurry.