Recessed lighting Help pls

Old 02-04-10, 06:50 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed lighting Help pls

Ok so start off I am very new to electricity. Basically I have an apartment building and in one unit I am putting two recessed lights in the kitchen in a soffit I had to make.

My question is when wiring these:

I have an outlet in the wall I was planning on running power from the outlet to a switch then to the lights? Is this this simple? or more that I need to do?

Thanks in Advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-10, 08:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
First off, because this is an apartment most states require the work to be done by a licensed contractor.

You may not tap into the circuits feeding the kitchen or dining room as they are part of the small appliance branch circuits. Your electrician will need to find power else ware.

Old 02-04-10, 08:04 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by tjones2787 View Post
I have an outlet in the wall I was planning on running power from the outlet to a switch then to the lights? Is this this simple? or more that I need to do?
If this wall outlet is in the bathroom, laundry, kitchen, dining room, pantry or similar area you cannot extend it for lighting. If it is in another area, you may be able to extend it, but we'll need to know what else is on the circuit to know for sure.