Electrical Box Wiring Question

Old 02-05-10, 12:20 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical Box Wiring Question

Hi,

I am moving a wall light fixture in my bathroom (House built in 1976). Below is a picture of the current electrical box and the wiring. There are three thin wires on the right side of the box running up and down (into and out of the box). I donít know the purpose of these wires. There is an old phone jack to plug a phone in the wall so I am wondering if that is why they are there.

So I donít know if I should cut these three thin wires, cap them, remove the box and patch the hole after I move the box and fixture, or is I should just leave them in the box, leave the current box in the wall and patch over it or put some type of cover over it?

I also have a question about the ground wire. There is no ground wire coming out of the main line. There is the white line, the black line, and then it looks like another black line that has been cut very short. Is this the ground wire?

I would appreciate any advice you can give me!

Monica

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-10, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The three wires are probably thermostat wires. Why they were run through an electrical box, is anyone's guess. They shouldn't be there.
The short wire you refer to is not black. It should be a bare wire. Cut a little back on your sheathing to verify. There should be strain relief in the box where the cable enters. You can buy snap in ones at the big box stores. What was this box used for? My guess it was wired to a 240 volt circuit and a heater was plugged in there. Close?? Oops, saw where you said it was a light, so nevermind.

Old 02-06-10, 07:16 AM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
"So I donít know if I should cut these three thin wires, cap them, remove the box and patch the hole after I move the box and fixture, or is I should just leave them in the box, leave the current box in the wall and patch over it or put some type of cover over it?"

If this is the box the light fixture was mounted on, it was wrong in the first place. You should use an octagon box. If you are moving the fixture and leave these wires in this box (assuming these are switched wires), you'll probably be using this box as a junction box. If that's the case, you shouldn't patch over it, it has to remain accessible. Ideally you would run a new romex cable from the switch box to a new octagon box, properly mounted, and remove the old box and wire and then patch the drywall.