Two questions with this weird box

Old 02-06-10, 03:06 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two questions with this weird box

In replacing an outlet, I found a metal box that has caused me two questions. First, it has a set of 12 AWG wires that went nowhere. Well, it actually went to a box in a different wall that was drywalled over at some point, but it's the equivalent of nowhere. I removed the wiring from the drywalled over box to reduce confusion in the basement over where the wire was actually going, but I cannot remove the wire from the box because it is stapled within the wall. I'm going to just put the end of the wires in their own dead-end junction box in the basement and cap off the wires in the box with the live wiring. My question is should I cap off the ground wire or should I connect it with the other grounds?

The second question is that the box is over an inch behind the actual surface. I'm going to use a box extender and was wondering if it needed to be grounded in any way? I was thinking of using a grounding clip on it, but wasn't sure if was necessary or not.

Last edited by DIYnewbie9; 02-06-10 at 04:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-10, 04:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 73 Posts
There is no need to cap the ground. If the box is metal all the ground should connect together and to the box.

All metallic parts need to be connected to the ground regarding the extension ring.

Old 02-06-10, 04:31 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
There is no need to cap the ground. If the box is metal all the ground should connect together and to the box.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure if it was necessary to connect the ground on NM cable that goes to a dead end box.