Relocating dryer- problem with new wire

Old 02-07-10, 09:05 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Relocating dryer- problem with new wire

I'm relocating a dryer to another wall and need to move the outlet. I'm using the old outlet as a junction box and adding 15 ft of wire to the new receptacle. My problem is I'm not getting enough power to the new receptacle. There is something with the extension that I can't figure out.

The wire from the panel to the junction box is 10-2 NM 600V. The wire i'm running from the junction box to the new receptacle is 10-2 NM-B 600V. Is the NM-B the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-10, 09:08 AM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
I'm relocating a dryer to another wall and need to move the outlet. I'm using the old outlet as a junction box and adding 15 ft of wire to the new receptacle. My problem is I'm not getting enough power to the new receptacle. There is something with the extension that I can't figure out.

The wire from the panel to the junction box is 10-2 NM 600V. The wire i'm running from the junction box to the new receptacle is 10-2 NM-B 600V. Is the NM-B the problem?
You need to run a totally new circuit with 10-3/G romex. The 10-2 you currently have may work, but you are using a bare ground wire as a current carrying neutral which is a code violation.

Old 02-07-10, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
The NM is fine. You have a couple of other issues though.

First, I am willing to bet you have a loose connection in your J-box. How did you make the splice? You need to use wirenuts that are rated for 2 #10 wires.

Second, because you have moved/extended the existing circuit you must conform it to the current code. This will require you to install a new cable from the panel using 10/3. You will also have to change the cord on the dryer to a 4 wire cord and the receptacle to a 4 wire.

Old 02-07-10, 09:25 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. The splice is the issue.

I did not know that was a code issue, I will run the 10-3 and make the required changes.

I'm a weekend warrior on this stuff, but learning alot.

Great site!

Old 02-07-10, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
We're happy to help! Comeback and visit again if you have any more questions. There is a lot of good people here!

Old 02-07-10, 05:50 PM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
Thanks for the quick response. The splice is the issue.

I did not know that was a code issue, I will run the 10-3 and make the required changes.

I'm a weekend warrior on this stuff, but learning alot.

Great site!
As a side note, the 10-2 romex was never correct for a dryer, it was incorrect the day it was installed. Although I have seen a lot of them wired that way, it never ceases to scare me. It's probably a good thing you decided to relocate your dryer and asked the question. Beer 4U2