Indoor Motion Sensor and Light Switch Timer

Old 02-08-10, 10:47 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Indoor Motion Sensor and Light Switch Timer

I'm looking to install a motion sensor that will turn on/off our indoor garage lighting which is currently controlled by just a regular switch. We want it so that it will light up when we go in the garage and then turn off several minutes after we leave.

Also, I'm looking to put one of my kitchen area lights onto a timer so that it will turn on automatically at a certain time (so there is some lighting in the house near our pets food area when it gets dark). Right now we just leave the light switch on from when we leave for work until we come home. So most of the day, the light is on while it is daylight out which is a waste of electricity.

I'm hoping these are relatively simple things that a new homeowner can take care of relatively painlessly. But I don't know what type of components I would need to do these things.

I probably have my lingo wrong but both are currently on regular on/off switches inside of two different 3-switch boxes (3 on/off switches on the same switch plate).

The garage lighting is controlled by two switches. One inside my house, one inside the garage. Hopefully that doesn't complicate things. If they make switches that have a delay timer where it will automatically switch off after say ten minutes, that could work also. Although I don't know if the two-switch setup will make that impossible or not.

The kitchen light is also controlled by two separate switch panels.

Not sure if I explained that clearly enough. But any advice on what components I would need to do what I want to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-10, 11:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 73 Posts
Just a quick break while shoveling snow. A switch that controls something from one location is called a single pole switch. If two switches control the same thing they are called three way switches.

IIRC you can purchase three way occupancy sensors.

Intermatic has timer type switches that will replace toggle switches. You may need to change the trim plate tho.

Old 02-14-10, 08:38 PM
R
I use this Heath Zenith kit for my three front lights. I also use one for my back porch. The only thing I don't have is the remote but I will get that later. It has been working great for the last six months. Pricey but it just plain works.

Shop Heath Zenith 180 Motion Controlled Lighting Set - White at Lowes.com

Old 02-14-10, 08:43 PM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
"The garage lighting is controlled by two switches. One inside my house, one inside the garage. Hopefully that doesn't complicate things. If they make switches that have a delay timer where it will automatically switch off after say ten minutes, that could work also. Although I don't know if the two-switch setup will make that impossible or not."

Is the garage lighting incandescent or fluorescent?

Old 02-16-10, 02:58 AM
A
Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
Is the garage lighting incandescent or fluorescent?
The garage lighting is incandescent.

Old 02-16-10, 04:24 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Dogs and cats can see very well with very little light, so unless the room is completely dark there's no reason to keep the lights on. If it is completely dark, buy a plug-in night light with a sensor that turns it on when it gets dark.