Adding a garage door opener switch

Old 02-08-10, 11:05 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a garage door opener switch

What all do I need to add a doorbell style switch to open an close my garage door. I have a craftsman 1/2 hp opener.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-10, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Some doorbell wire and a switch/button...that should be it. Though I think some of the newer ones have electronics in the switch. If you look at the opener and post the model number...I'll see if there is a manual at Managemyhome.com.

Old 02-09-10, 05:04 PM
A
Originally Posted by stic View Post
I have a craftsman 1/2 hp opener.
As previously suggested, get the model number. You can probably look on sears.com and find the OEM wired button.

If your existing wired button has a lock button, an open button and a light button, and only two wires, I would not try to use a doorbell switch without some special modifications.

If the manufacturer is Chamberlain (it is for my Craftsman opener circa 2004), you can often find cheaper Chamberlain OEM parts online, but you'll have to cross-reference part numbers, which can take some detective work.

Another option would be to use an additional fixed wireless keypad. I don't remember all the specifics but I think you could use an easy code like 1111+Enter. Still not as easy as a pushbutton, though.

Old 02-11-10, 05:59 AM
S
I went to manage my life site an type in all the different numbers, nothing came up under garage door opener. The opener was made in 2/00. All the number i see are 41A5021-3E 132c2105-38 canada #102 1499A.

Old 02-11-10, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
139.53962 Try that model number if this link doesn't work.....

http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0310295.pdf

Page 18 is the button info...

Looks like you may need the upgraded control though, can't really tell. You can test it by just quickly jumpering across the screws at the opener..if it works..then you should be able to just use a standard button.