Load values on Panel Schedule (for permit)

Old 02-10-10, 02:48 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Load values on Panel Schedule (for permit)

I'm making up a panel schedule for the purpose of applying for a permit with my AHJ. What load values (in Volt-Amps) are customary to use for general receptacle and lighting circuts on the schedule? Should these be estimated based on the actual number of receptacles or the square footage each circuit covers, since that's how the lighting load for the dwelling is calculated?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-10, 03:08 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Code allows a calculation of 3 volt-amps per square foot for general-purpose residential loads which includes lighting and receptacles. Square footage is calculated using the gross (outer) dimensions of the livable building multiplied by the number of livable floors. No garages, porches, unfinished basements or attics are counted. If your general load comes out to be greater than 10,000 VA, you can count any additional load above that at 40%.

Note that this general-purpose load does not include mandatory loads like the kitchen small-appliance branch circuits (1,500 VA each), laundry (1,500 VA), cloths dryer (5,000 VA), HVAC, cooking appliances and motors (all per nameplate).

Old 02-10-10, 03:11 PM
B
What about the per-circuit values that (should?) appear on a panel schedule? Are those important?

Old 02-11-10, 01:48 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Mike Holt

You can go here and about 1/2 down the page is a residential load calculation spreadsheet. Just fill in the blanks that applies to your service and you're done.

Old 02-11-10, 07:54 AM
B
Thanks! I've read posts on that forum numerous times, but was unaware of the other resources the site provided.