Wireing a new gfci outlit in Bathroom.

Old 02-11-10, 04:35 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow Wireing a new gfci outlit in Bathroom.

I am trying to wire a new gfci outlet in my bathroom. There are currently no outlets in there. I would like to run a new line from my main panel box 100amp service,there are un-used spots. The wiring in my house has three wires B_W_Copper(Ground). I don't think i would need much more then a 15amp gfci. But i am not sure....The only electric in the bath is from the switch to the light fixture. I also will be adding a fan in there soon, can i run the electric from the gfci to a switch then to the fan, after the gfci is installed of course?

Old 02-11-10, 04:41 PM
N
you can tap the lights and fan off of the load side of the new gfci outlet but it needs to be on a 20 amp ckt

Old 02-12-10, 06:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
While you say you only need a 15 amp circuit for the GFI receptacle the electrical code requires a 20 amp circuit.

If the circuit that serves the new receptacle does not feed things outside of that bathroom it can have the bathroom lighting on it. This does take away capacity to run the blow dryers and curling irons without potentially tripping the breaker.

Old 02-12-10, 09:03 AM
R
How do i run the line......my box is in the basement. If you could tell me step by step....that would be great.....I understand the white goes to the wiring bar and the black goes to the breaker and so on.....But what size breaker do i need and what size wire do i need and what amp gfci do i need?....Like i said ,I also want to add a fan in there soon....so i would like it to be able to withstand the load. Also if i flip the main breaker...is it safe to work in the box???

Old 02-12-10, 09:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You would need to run a 12-2 cable from the panel to the bathroom receptacle location and use a 20 amp single pole breaker.

You could use a 15 amp GFI receptacle.

Even with the main breaker off there are live parts where the incoming wires connect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: