Recommendations for Propane fueled Portable Generator

Old 02-13-10, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recommendations for Propane fueled Portable Generator

Hello - I'm looking for a ~8Kw propane fired generator. The only thing close that I have been able to find is a GenTron 6Kw.

this will be adequate for basic needs. Anyone have any experience with this brand and model.

Anyone recommend another propane fueled unit?

thanks.
FF

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-10, 02:32 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
ANY gasoline engine can be converted to propane operation, all it takes is the replacement of the gasoline carburetor with a gaseous fuel carburetor and a regulator to reduce the propane tank pressure to that used by the carburetor. You can have dual-fuel capabilities by using an adapter plate between the air cleaner and the gasoline carburetor but such use may decrease the horsepower of the engine and limit the generator output.

This website is difficult to maneuver but it does have all the answers.

Generator Conversion Kits to Propane and Natural Gas.

One thing that many people do not understand is that you cannot simply hook the barbecue tank to a generator and expect the generator to supply all their needs. The physics of propane and its evaporation are such that often a much larger tank than might seem necessary is needed to allow for the proper vaporization of the fuel.

Old 02-13-10, 02:44 PM
I am aware of the conversion kits. I don't want to buy a new generator only to buy a kit and deal with converting it.

I own a 325 gallon buried tank.

Anyone have any experience with a factory manufactured propane fueled generator?

Anyone have any knowledge on the Gentron model I mentioned.

Thanks.

Old 02-13-10, 02:50 PM
Generac Power Systems - Guardian Series 8 kW

this unit is convertible to natural gas also

http://www.generac.com/Residential/C.../Products/7kW/

this model is 1000 watts less but more affordable

Old 02-13-10, 02:53 PM
My mistake - I should have clarified.

Looking for a portable generator to carry me through 3-5 years until I can spring for a fixed unit.

Old 02-13-10, 03:39 PM
Old 02-13-10, 04:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'm running a 6.5kw Kubota that came with the house. That low a kw rating, I have to pick and choose circuits, but it is fine. It is also a dual fuel, either gas or propane from the factory. Since I am total electric, I run it off a 100 gal vertical tank, along with my gas logs and an emergency stove in the basement.

Old 02-13-10, 06:40 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback.

I'm in a somewhat rural area and someday would like to put in a fixed unit but will have to wait til my son is out of school (and the economy picks up).

I love the sound of Kubota but can't seem to find it on the web plus I suspect it is pricey. (do you know the model #)

the DuroPower look good and seem to be decent price....anyone own or know anyone that owns?

Website doesn't say what type of engine they use.

Thanks again for the links.
FF

Old 02-13-10, 07:53 PM
There are a few things about that Duropower gennie that bother me. The first is the noise level, 72 db is pretty loud, my 3kw Yamaha is only 57 and the 6 kw Yamaha inverter is 64 db maximum.

Another thing is that in the specifications they list it as being both a one pole and a four pole generator. There is no such thing as a one pole generator and very few portable generators are four pole models. The number of poles (always in multiples of two) determine how fast a non-inverter generator needs to turn to produce 60 Hz power with a two pole unit needing 3600 rpm and a four pole needing only 1800 rpm. Naturally a four pole machine will be quieter and will also last longer.

One more thing is power quality. Lower-priced generators produce a great deal of electrical noise on their output and this can wreak havoc on sensitive electronics such as are often incorporated in the newer furnaces that have variable speed blowers. It is also hard on computers, televisions, DVD players and similar items.

These are some of the reasons why I like the inverter generators. What these are is a high frequency AC generator that has the output rectified to DC and then use the DC to operate a crystal-controlled inverter to output very high quality rock-steady 60 Hz power. I find that my 3 kw model is quite sufficient to run my refrigerator, furnace, computer or television (with DVD player) or with careful management I can also use either my microwave oven or tabletop convection oven.

I don't know why you specified an 8 kw model, maybe you have your own well and water pump. I live in a suburban area with municipal water system so I had no need of a bigger gennie. I've only used it once in the three years I have had it but the year before I was without power for three days and urban camping with inside temperatures ranging in the low forties is not my idea of fun.

Old 02-13-10, 09:23 PM
furd - Thanks for all the details you provided. I thought the DuroPower seemed to good to be true and it sure seems to imply "made in china".

I am on a well and need to power the pump for sure. Otherwise I have 1 gas log upstairs and 1 down for heat and if smaller gennie is managed closely like you said it might be enough to get by. We've also had some pretty bad summer storms past few years and lose power in the warmer months as well. We're in the biggest yet poorest county in Va. and rely a Co-Op for power. We're in fairly low customer per sq. mile area and usually the last to get power back on.

I think we could get by with a little less Kw as mentioned but even in that case to get get good clean power like you detailed I'd have to pay upwards to $3k to get a decent inverter model. I found a yamaha dealer that does a LP conversion and still maintains factory warranty. ef6300isde but for that money I might suck it up and re-look at a fixed unit (looked at the Kohler 12K RES in the past). I'm sure I'll sit on it til the next time we lose power and then get all spun up again! (this our first house with a well)

If I have any other questions I may give you a shout (in fact I believe you helped me out a few years ago on some wiring).

Thanks again. FF

Old 02-14-10, 05:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
FF as soon as the snow melts a little and I get outside, I'll look at the generator and give you the information requested earlier. The Kubota is somewhat portable. Two people can pick the cage up, but it is not on wheels. I have it mounted permanently in a leanto type shed off the side of the house with doors on three sides, so I can access the control panel, choke area and allow for exhaust.
I'm like Furd, last time it used it was during Hurricane Ivan, although I do crank it occasionally and let it run to charge the battery and lube the upper stuff.
I'm on a well, too, and it is probably the largest draw. Otherwise it is my office (where the dsl modem, etc are), living room, basement, refrigerator and a few other small circuits. I abandoned the bathroom one, since you can go there via braille and a candle. Wasted circuit IMO.