3-way switch install

Old 02-13-10, 02:30 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3-way switch install

Hey guys, forgive me if this has been covered in a previous thread and if so just re-direct me to the proper thread. I added a 3-way switch on the wall near my back door. I have a light in that room in the ceiling that is controlled by a switch on the other side of the room which receives power. Here's all I have done: ran 14/3 from the OLD switch to the NEW location, installed 2 3-way switches (2way? the switch has 3 terminals just FYI). SO just to summarize, old location receives power and has a wire going to the ceiling light -END OF LINE THERE. And my new 14/3 goes from the old location to the new. I have tried a few configurations but right now the best I can do is get it to turn on one side but it just over rides the other so u can't go back and forth off/on. HOPING I do not have to tie into the ceiling light, totally want to avoid that if possible, PAIN to tap into it.

ANY HELP -thx!

ScottBeer 4U2

Last edited by pcboss; 02-15-10 at 03:06 PM. Reason: corrected switch type
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-10, 02:48 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
A two-way switch is just on and off, what you are doing is installing three-way switches.

I don't normally respond to questions about three-way switches because for me they are ridiculously simple but I'll help you out a bit.

On the new cable add some color to the white lead, any color but white grey and green is acceptable and use the same color on both ends. You can use a marking pen or colored tape. Then at the new switch location connect this re-colored wire to the black screw on the switch. Connect the red and black wires to the other two screws, usually brass.

At the location of the previous switch connect the black and red wires the same way, to the two brass colored screws. Connect the "hot" lead that was formerly connected to the two-way (on/off) switch to the black screw on the three-way switch and then using a wire nut connect the wire from the light fixture to the re-colored white lead of the new three conductor cable.

Old 02-13-10, 02:55 PM
(its really called a 3-way if u have 2 locations.. 2 plus u need 4 ways)

connect black power in to the black screw on your switch then connnect the black and the red of your 14-3 to the remaining 2 screws. next connect the red and black to the same two screws on the switch on the other side of the room..... next remark the white wire in the new switch box with a black magic marker and connect that wire to the black screw on the switch

now go back to the old switch box and connect remark the white on this end and connect it to the black wire running to the light fixture and last connect white power in to white to the light

connect all grounds to any metal boxes and to the switches and light fixtures

and your done! good luck

Old 02-13-10, 02:58 PM
looks like furd can type faster than me

Old 02-13-10, 03:01 PM
T
WOW! Thanks for the quick responses! I will try these out asap! And YES, I figure its pretty simple, but thats what was so frustrating, knowing it was. Doing this and a zillion other things (staining wood, painting, cabinets, trim, countertops...etc..) all this stuff and I fix computers for a living -LOL. So I just need a few tips....thx guys! Let u know what happens

Scott

Old 02-13-10, 03:16 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by braether3 View Post
looks like furd can type faster than me
No, I just started several minutes before you. Beer 4U2

Old 02-13-10, 06:38 PM
L
2-way switch install

Hello theruckman

Here is a drawing I made on how to wire up your
project, adding a 3 way switch.

In the drawing the wires that have BLUE on them are really WHITE WIRES.

Only take off the wires that are on the old switch ("X" & "Y").
Leave the rest of them alone..Replace the old switch with a new 3 way switch.
Connect wire "X" to the dark screw on the 1st new 3 way switch.

Then add the 2nd new 3 way switch where ever you want it………Wirenut wire "Y" to the black wire of your new
3 wire cable. Then connect that black wire to the dark screw on the 2nd new 3 way switch.
Connect the Red & White traveler wires to the other 4 screws.

Hope this helps ---

Let us know how you made out with your wiring project

Have A Nice Day

Linesman

Old 02-15-10, 02:09 PM
T
OKAY! Well first off thx for the may QUICK and detailed replies. Especially Linesman -DUDE! U went all out with the diagram -AWESOME. Well anyway, I followed everything to a tee and STILL was not working! Finally narrowed it down to POSSIBLY the 3-way was bad...GUESS WHAT? It was bad! Well, one of them. I replaced it and wah-lah! all good here.
Thanks again to everyone who responded!

Scott

Old 02-15-10, 09:10 PM
glad to hear you got it

Ben Hvac-r tech