Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Converting a 220 socket to 110 when switching from an electric oven to a gas.

Old 02-13-10, 10:06 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi there. My current electric stove is plugged into a 220 socket (looks like this guy: http://www.makethebestofwhatsaround....001-770342.jpg) and my new gas stove that I'm installing requires a basic 110 socket.

My question is whether or not I can and should convert the current 220 socket to 110 and how I should go about doing that, or whether it would be best to simply run some new romex and install a whole new socket? We recently had our home rewired to remove all knob-and-tube wiring, but there is still some old wiring here and there and I worry whether or not it'd just be easier to rewire. The stove is above a crawl space, so running wire wouldn't be difficult.

This will be my first foray into home electrical, so I appreciate any help at all you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-10, 10:43 PM
F
That is old style 120/240 volt 30 amp receptale and I am pretty sure that is 6.0mm˛ { 10 AWG } conductors in there so you can able install the 120 volt recetaple however before you do that check the breaker handle to see how many amps it should be stamped on the handle.

The other issue you may end up made a pigtail due the conductor size I know somecase you will have larger conductor in there either 10 or 16 mm˛ { #8 or #6 AWG }

Also look at the numbers of conductor you should see red , black , white or copper or silverish colour conductors let us know what you see in there we can go from there.

{ Make sure you have that circuit is off before you remove the receptale but do not unhook the wires at the moment until we give you corrrect prodcure }

Merci,Marc

Old 02-13-10, 10:49 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's odd that you have that particular outlet for a range. That is a 30A outlet normally used for dryers. Ranges usually require a 40-50A breaker, the outlet for which would have a straight vertical slot for the neutral instead of the L shaped slot. In theory, you could change that to a standard outlet, but only IF there is a ground wire present in both the box and the panel that you can connect to the outlet, AND, you would ahve to change out the double pole 30A breaker for a single pole 20A, and cap off the red wire at both ends. If there is no usable ground wire, then you will have to run a new 12/2 cable to the box and install a 20A breaker on it.

(I'm not sure if it is acceptable to use the red wire as ground, even if it is wrapped in green tape, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. There is nothing electrically wrong with it, but it may be against code.)

Old 02-13-10, 11:07 PM
F
Matt.,

If the OP stated it was from wall oven then Op is correct with it.

But for myself I will never use green tape over red conductor it is not really a best move to do that especailly if you have old school SE conductors.

Merci, Marc

Old 02-13-10, 11:12 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
(I'm not sure if it is acceptable to use the red wire as ground, even if it is wrapped in green tape, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. There is nothing electrically wrong with it, but it may be against code.)
Except in special cases such as switch loops and 2-conductor cable on 240v circuits wires #6 and smaller can not be remarked. In addition ground wires must be originally colored green, green/yellow, or bare.

OOps, Marc types faster then I do.

Old 02-14-10, 01:40 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
Matt.,

If the OP stated it was from wall oven then Op is correct with it.

But for myself I will never use green tape over red conductor it is not really a best move to do that especailly if you have old school SE conductors.

Merci, Marc
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Except in special cases such as switch loops and 2-conductor cable on 240v circuits wires #6 and smaller can not be remarked. In addition ground wires must be originally colored green, green/yellow, or bare.

OOps, Marc types faster then I do.
Yeah I wouldn't do it either, but I didn't know if it was prohibited by code. Thanks!