adding new kitchen lighting

Old 02-14-10, 02:24 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
adding new kitchen lighting

ok here goes ... I currently have a 4 ft fluorescent light in my kitchen with one wall switch for it that is in a really inconvenient place. You have to walk all the way through the kitchen or around the hall to get to the switch which needless to say is a pain. I would like to install a new light over the sink area as when you are in front of the sink the existing light is behind you and makes for dim area there. So what I would like to do is add a new light above the sink probably a track lighting system with 3 or 4 small bulbs. At the same time I would like to add a switch on the other side of the kitchen area so when you come in from the garage you can actually turn the light on before you enter the kitchen. I know I will need to replace the existing switch but what kind of wire will i need from the new switch to the old switch and to the new light
Question1 what wiring(what gauge and how many conductors),switches would be needed to install the switch first
Question 2 What wire(what gauge and how many conductors) and where would it need to be ran for the new light?
Question 3 would I be able to separate the 2 lights have them independent of each other.
sorry this so long and thanks for any help in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-10, 02:36 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Please forgive me if I sound condescending but this is electrical work 101. I strongly suggest that you get a few books on residential wiring from the library and read them cover-to-cover. I also think that EVERYONE that does home DIY electrical should OWN the book Wiring Simplified. It is available for less than ten dollars and it really is the bible for DIY electrical.

Old 02-14-10, 04:00 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I know I will need to replace the existing switch
Have you considered converting the existing switch to 3-way and adding a second 3-way in the new location? Have you considered having the sink lighting switch separate and at the sink? That way you can have general lighting on all the time when you are in the kitchen and when you need the extra sink lighting its switch will be right there by the sink convenient to turn on.

Old 02-14-10, 06:36 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
furd...thanks for the advice on the book, I will pick it up. I have done minor electrical work but have never added any switches to existing circuits etc.

ray .. where the sink is located is by a bar/ countertop area and would be very difficult to fish in a new wire. Yes I was thinking of making both new switches 3 ways so they could be turned on from either location. the attic above is wide open to be able to fish a new wire down next to the entry by the garage door side and of course lots of room by where the new light fixture will be.

my main concern was getting the proper gauge and making sure I had enough conductors for the new leg to the new switch to have the ability to turn lights on and off independently

Old 02-14-10, 06:53 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
The proper gauge of wire is dependent upon the circuit that supplies the lamp. You would need #14 for a 15 ampere circuit breaker or #12 for a 20 ampere circuit breaker.

You need three insulated conductors and one bare equipment grounding conductor. Most common would be a type NM-B cable designated 14-3 for the 15 ampere circuit or 12-3 for a 20 ampere circuit. The bare equipment grounding conductor is assumed with type NM cable.

Further down is a post asking about the wiring of a two-way switch, the poster was confused about two-way and three-way but the information in that post is good and directly applies to your situation.