227 volt heater (help)

Old 02-15-10, 08:56 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
227 volt heater (help)

I have bought a dayton heater that i thought was 220 volts,after hooking it up in my shop,i noticed that it wasnt performing like i thought it should,,got to looking at voltage needed to operate,and it showed 277 volts,,have had 2 eletricians at house to look at it and the said,that it wouldnt make any differance if it was hooked 220 or 277,,it would work the same?..For some reason i find this hard to believe,,can anyone help me with this...the volts that im missing would make a big differece on the way it would run right?

Thanks Gregg

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-10, 08:59 PM
E
Will make a differance

It will make a difference if it needs 277 and you only have 220 is there anyway you can change a tap inside the heater to 220. Sometimes motors and heaters are interchangable for voltage. I wouldnt suggest running it off of 220 any longer it will burn it out.

Old 02-15-10, 09:03 PM
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
If there is a blower the lower voltage will likely severely shorten the life of the blower motor. If it's a convection or radiant heater, it'll work fine, but you won't get the rated heat from it, but it'll still work. Can you exchange it?

Old 02-15-10, 09:31 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
277 volts is the line-to-neutral voltage of a 480/277 three-phase system. Since 277 volts is a single-phase voltage you could use a 32 volt buck-boost transformer to boost your 240 volts to 272 volts and then your heater should operate normally. I would have to know the kw rating on the heater in order to specify the transformer.

Down side is that the transformer won't be cheap.

Old 02-15-10, 10:12 PM
P
I have a GE Buck boost transaformer max vots on it is 272 volts and max amps 46.9 that was used on a taining bed 1 phase! i had the eletrician hook it up today and he said that it wasnt working,,but it was working when i puuled it from the taining bed ,it pretty obious that this guy dont need to be back in my shop working with eletricity...lol
when i got your reply i went out to the shop and throwed the breaker,because it was wired to 220 earlier today!! its a very nice heater and i need to do what ever i can to use it,,,,i bought it used and yes it did come out of an industrial building(i guess thats why it runs off of 227 right?)

Old 02-15-10, 10:16 PM
P
it is a blower type,,and i bought it used and cant return it,,it was like new,,it costs over 500.00 and picked it up for 100.00,,,just didnt dream of it being 227 volts...lol

Old 02-15-10, 10:21 PM
P
Thanks joe!! i have turned it off being that it was wired 220 earlier today,,and as far as changeing it inside the heater goes im not for sure ill check it out,,,i have looked inside the door were it is wired and it doesnt look like i can change it around(would it be at the blower motoritself ?

Old 02-15-10, 10:24 PM
F
PoorboyGregg.,

I do not know why your so called electricians claim that the 240 and 277 don't make much diffiernce there that is not right there at all it do affect the perfomace espcaly with the fan motor it will hasten { quickly } shorten the motor life pretty easy.

For heating elements I know you mention 277 volts run on 240 volts you loose about 25% of heating value { it the same story with 240 heating elements on 208 volt system }

Can you run the model numbers to us I know either Furd or myself or other will tell you the correct soluation to this set up.

Furd's idea is on right track but need to know excat KW rating so he can able put up correct B/B { buck et boost } transfomer and proper connection this is critcial for proper operation and safety issue.

If you have 5 KW or 7.5 KW heater please heed the connetions due the 5 KW heater can work either single or three phase { I have allready ran into like that more than once }

The other thing anytime you get 277 or higher voltage I really strongly requied that it have to be hardwire { I know you can get in 277 volt plugs but not super common with larger size and some electrical supply centre may have it on hand }

Merci,Marc

Old 02-15-10, 10:27 PM
F
Gregg.,

As I was typing this I did see you have B/B transfomer but can you snag me the model number so I can able verify if that is correct Kva rating for your heater.

Merci, Marc

Old 02-15-10, 10:44 PM
P
yes it is and thank you for helping me with this matter,it is made by GE 9T51B0131

Old 02-15-10, 10:54 PM
P
I sent him the model number on my buck boost,,and as far as the heater they made alot of differnt models that look just alike,,i have had one hell of a time finding this one on the net,,here is the stuff off the back.....model number is 3uf81 kw5 phase1 motor volts 277 controll volts 277 amps .o25 this guy that was here tonight said that the reason that it woulnt heating good was because it only had 5k worth of heating,,,but i have been heating the shop with a 220 heater with less btus and it heats it very well....lol

Old 02-15-10, 11:22 PM
F
Ok Gregg.,

Let start with heater first .,

That is disconuted model and unforeally it only confreaged for 277 volts only it will not be switchable to other voltage at all.

and yes it is indeed a 5 Kw heater.

Now for your B/B it is 1.5 Kva that rating is normally used for straght transfomer however if you run in B/B format it will handle alot more current than you can think. { update I will check the size as well }

I am pretty sure your B/B will handle the heater without any issue however I have to dig up the connection diagram to get it up on 32 volt format.

{ it will take a hair longer due all my format and website are in French }

Merci,Marc

Last edited by french277V; 02-16-10 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-16-10, 12:15 AM
P
Well i guess thats why i cant find anything on it( just my luck),,But i love the challange,,thanks to guys like you helping me out!!! i will do an update to see what you come up with with the wiring dia. on the b/b,,i guess i will take it today and see if i can have it checked out to see if its any good or not,,,im almost possitve that it is but the crazy eletrician that was here today says thats its not,,,(im not taking his word on it) hopeing soeone can check it out for me!!