wiring a breaker box to a meter

Old 03-04-10, 07:14 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do all your expected drilling on the house before having the power cut. Some things like screws and holes less then 3/4" are OK with a cordless drill but when using hole saws such as drilling the roof for the mast and holes for conduit a corded drill is better.

Old 03-04-10, 08:57 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Otherwise you can borrow a generator for while for major drilling holes the rest of smaller diamatier holes the cordless drill can do the task not too bad.

I have pretty serious hevey duty Dewalt cordless drill with me that run on 24 volts { it have simauir power level with corded verison } that work fine with any holes under 2.5 inches or smaller but for bigger one either run in corded mode or get generator as I mention above.

But if you going thru the roof make sure you get good flashing as well so you can seal up roof up nice.

I have a homemade hole saw that go thru the soffet et roof all at one shot that work very well with me.

Now let answer one question I know two other electricians in this fourm answer this about 7.6meter {25 feet } rules IMO that is Noix .,,, { Nuts } that really don't make any sense to run up to 25 feet of unfused conductors like that.
There is no way I will install like that.

Merci.Marc

Old 03-10-10, 02:18 PM
A
Hi Everybody....

Working a little overtime didn't leave me much time for anything else, but I finally put the video together....
Here it is:

Electrical video by alljams2001 - Photobucket

Hopefully, this will give some insight as to what I'm trying to do...

Again, as always, any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Old 03-10-10, 03:07 PM
A
Sorry guys, got in such a hurry I didn't realize I'd put a clip in twice....

Old 03-10-10, 03:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
One more question. Is the meter being relocated to the house wall or is it staying on the pole? It sounds like the house.

Old 03-10-10, 03:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If this were being installed by me, I would have the meter set on the house and set a disconnect beside it. From the disconnect I would run a 4 wire feeder into the house following the path laid out in your video into the panel.

The inside panel would then be wired with the neutrals and ground isolated.

I cannot identifiy the wire shown in the video positively but I don't think you will be able to utilize it. You told the conductor sizes, but do you see any other identification on the cable?

Old 03-10-10, 03:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
See if you can get an idea from these. The first pic is an overview showing the connection from the pole to the service entrance cable and the meter.

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/a...d/overview.jpg

The second pic show the cable from the meter into the disconnect. The cable into the house panel leaves the bottom of the disconnect.

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/a...coandmeter.jpg

Old 03-10-10, 05:39 PM
A
Hi PCboss...

Wanting to use the meter if I can, will move it. Just aren't sure if it's best to move it on the same wall as the breaker box, or on the back of the house.

Old 03-10-10, 06:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most likely the power company will determine where they will allow the meter to be located. Most times the homeowner has no say in the matter.

Old 03-10-10, 06:09 PM
E
Thanks for the video. I definatly think the PoCo will put the meter on the back of the house where the peak is. Its easier from that point to run the service up to the connection point anyway. In one of my posts i linked a combination meter/disconnect. I would definatly try and utilize this, it will make it much easier for all the connections. Then 4 wire SER would get run into the house to the panel. I agree with Pcboss the wire shown would probably only be able to be used if you run the service feed from the meter pan to the peak in conduit. That wire cannot be run through the building without it being in conduit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: